From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to use serial port of FP-2010 and connect modem to it

i want to connect a modem to serial port of FP-2010.

can i do this if yes then how

Regards
mazhar
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(8,870 Views)
Hi!
  To use com ports of embedded controllers, you can program them as pc coms, it's the same.  So you can take a look at PC serial transmit / receive examples.  If you can do this, then the next step is to attach modem. 

Is it an AT modem? Or is it a point-to-point connection (2 modems, no protocol for modem handling)? Can you describe the modem name/type?

I'm not familiar with AT commands, and I don't know what you can find of already implemented.  But common RS-232 modem (non AT) are easy to use, since they just extend an RS-232 connection, and if you build an application which make your computer communicate with FP-2010 through crossed serial cable, then putting 2 modem in the is transparent.

Hope it helps, let me know before I go on Holydays (in about 2 hours 30 minutes Smiley Happy )!

graziano
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(8,866 Views)
Hi Graziano
 thnx for ur interest
the name and model of modem is

TRENDnet TFM 560X Analog Modem (TFM-560X)
is extrnal modem

regards
mazhar
Message 3 of 11
(8,837 Views)
Hi mazhar.ali,

Have you tried using the VIs posted by Jeff B in this thread?  They use VISA write/reads with the AT command set.  And, according to the manufacturer's website:

"TRENDnet´s TFM-560X is also compatible with virtually all communication software and capable of utilizing the AT command set."

Thus, in Dial Modem.vi (a VI within Jeff B's Modem.llb), the command "at&F\r" means "Load Factory Profile."  Do you have any questions regarding the usage of AT commands?  Is there some functionality in particular that you're having trouble implementing? 
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(8,824 Views)
hi Peter K.

i have cheked the modem.llb by jeff b but the problem is that
in that .llb vi's use visa vi's and which are not supported by real time i hav checked
now is there any other way to connect modem to fp(one thing should be in mind that fp uses real time)

regards
mazhar
Message 5 of 11
(8,809 Views)

mazhar.ali wrote:

in that .llb vi's use visa vi's and which are not supported by real time i hav checked

Are you sure?  I've used VISA VI's within a real-time cFP controller numerous times for the Com ports.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(8,802 Views)
yes iam sure and iam using FP-2010

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(8,794 Views)
Actually, you both are correct.  Prior to LabVIEW 7.0, FP-20xx devices did not support VISA.  Since the release of LabVIEW 7.0, though, VISA works just fine on FP-20xx devices.  Which version of LabVIEW do you have, mazhar?  Please refer to the following KnowledgeBase article for confirmation:

Is VISA Supported by FieldPoint or Compact FieldPoint?

Message 8 of 11
(8,770 Views)
thanx Pakman

iam using Lab View 8.2 and Lab View 8.2 real time

regards
mazhar
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(8,752 Views)
My pleasure, mazhar.  Please let me know if you encounter any issues with the modem library.  Enjoy your weekend!
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(8,733 Views)