I have a fieldpoint system that consists of 2 controllers and approximately 10 modules. The modules include a mixture of thermocouple, analog outputs, analog inputs, digital outputs and digital inputs. The system has been operational for more than 2 years without a problem.
Recently, the communication with one of the FP-TB-10 modules stopped. This module has 8 channels of DI and 2 channels of AO. The only visible symptom of a problem is that the "ready light" does not light-up at all during or after powerup. By perusing the knowledgebase and discussion forums, this seems to indicate that the module is not properly booting up.
I am trying to pointpoint where the problem may lie - with the FP-TB-10 module, with the individual channels, or perhaps with the inputs. Or maybe I have some sort of loose connection?
I have another FP-TB-10 module right next to the malfunctioning unit - it works fine. Therefore, I suspect the system power is OK.
I tried removing all of the individual channels from the malfunctioning unit and then powering it up. The result was the same - no ready light.
Hi! As I reported to a previous post, when i encountered this problem, all the FP chain, from a certain module on, didn't have READY LED lit, and it was due to a pin flexed in the backplane bus, I mean those pins located near the DIN rail, that carry backplane data. When I straightened it back, all worked again.
The module NEXT to the one not working, with optomux address GREATER than its own, is it working? I mean, if damaged module is at address 4, are modules at 5, 6... working? If they aren't maybe you're facing my same problem...
Modules upstream and downstream of the problem module are all working fine. Their ready lights are "on" and I can access them from the NI software.
However, prior to the current state, the module in question had slightly different behaviour. Upon power-up, the ready light would come "on" but some-time later (~5 minutes or so) after I tried to start the control software the software would give an error message and when I looked back at the hardware the ready light was now "off". Thinking I might have a loose connection somewhere, I poked around and noticed that the module right next to the problematic module would "change state" when I jostled it. By "changing state" I mean the channel LED's changed from on/off to off/on - so it looked like I did have a poor connection; maybe on the backplane line. I tried to improve the connections on THAT module and it now behaves in a normal manner.