FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

do cFP modules have to be in place when the unit is initialized?

Running:

cFP-1804 backplane over serial connection to Mac OSX via a keyspan USA28X, using a legacy VI that has (up until now) been used with legacy FP system (FP-1000, etc), also serial.
cFP-AI-110 measuring 1 - 10 V at 1 input
cFP-DO-400 sourcing 24 V to four channels out
cFP-AO-200 sourcing 4 - 20 mA to 1 output
The modules are in this order on the backplane, with the farthest slot from the head being empty

After tracking down a Windows box to use MAX to initialize the unit, I connected the unit to the Macintosh that is running the VI to find that only the DO and AO modules function as expected.  I measure a voltage between pins 1 and 18 (COM) with a voltmeter, but no such measurement appears on the front panel of the software.

Interestingly; I tried moving all of the modules over one space to see if the position on the backplane mattered, and lo! the control that is supposed to actuate output 0 on the AO card actually punched on the DO output. But still no voltage measurement.

So, the question: If modules are connected to the cFP-1804 when it is initialized, or the firmware is flashed, does this mean that the units are no longer interchangable?  Would re-initializing the unit with no cards inserted allow none to be recognized?

Also, I have noticed that it takes a particularly long time for the system to come on line once the VI is started (10-15 seconds).  Could this be related?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(6,041 Views)

Hi N.Bass,

What do you mean initialize?  Are you setting the channels through MAX and data neighborhood?  When you add the cFP-1804 to MAX and then move the FieldPoint to a different machine, you shouldn't move the modules.  You'll either need to send commands to reconfigure the module or connect it back to MAX to reconfigure the modules.

Since you're on a Mac, your VI uses Optomux commands to control the FieldPoint.  I would check your VI to see if it's calling the correct address and using the correct command to read the analog input.

You can also verify that the driver correctly reads the Analog Input module in MAX by selecting your module in Data Neighborhood and selecting the Start button at the top of the window. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(6,029 Views)

Here is some references for Optomux Programming:

FieldPoint Optomux Programming Reference Help

http://digital.ni.com/manuals.nsf/websearch/A62558E5BDED8486862573460055DF12

How Do I Effectively Use the FieldPoint Optomux Commands?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/3EC99318D768D87E86256E0D007FBFEE 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(6,028 Views)