FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

custom compact rio

I keep seeing that you can get a lisence to make a custom compact rio module. I was wondering if there was as list of modules that people have made already. I am looking for RS485 for the compact rio and figure someone with a bigger budget than me is selling them. Anyone know??? Kevan -
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,655 Views)

I checked out the list of tested 3rd party CRIO modules and the list of NI modules, but I don't see a module that natively implements RS485.  So I started thinking...

You could implement RS485 with a Digital I/O module, you would just have to implement the protocol detection and transmission on the FPGA of the CRIO.  You would either have to use a level converter to bring the differential 485 signal to TTL levels for the 9401 module, or you could use the 9411 module, which supports differential signalling up to 30V.   Because the 9411 has 6 DIO lines (3 differential), you could implement both RX and TX, although the FPGA code would be simpler for only half duplex communication. 

To get started with programming, I would take a look at these examples for RS232.  The examples are for the R series Intelligent DAQ line, but you could translate them to CRIO with a little effort.

Finally, if you feel a 485 module would be a significant contribution to the CRIO product line, I recommend you make a product suggest to the developers and decision makers in R&D here at NI.

Cheers,

Spex
National Instruments

To the pessimist, the glass is half empty; to the optimist, the glass is half full; to the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be has a 2x safety factor...
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,641 Views)
Note that the 9411 module is digital input, so it can only be used for Rx. For Tx you would need to add a digital output module such as the 9474, which can handle up to 30V based on an external supply voltage.
authored by
Christian L, CLA
Systems Engineering Manager - Automotive and Transportation
NI - Austin, TX

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,632 Views)