From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cFP-DO-401 status indicator problem

Hello

We use compact field point controller for one of our hydraulic test stands.

And cFP-DO-401 is configured for sequence of boolean operations for all the 16 channels.

The problem is during testing, status indicators are turned off but internally the relay still on , so operation gets failed.

When i checked for cause, some of transistors in the cFP-DO-401 got short circuited.

I want to know what might be the root cause of the failure or problem.

Thanks

Regards

Kirit

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(6,558 Views)
What kind of load (voltage, current) were these digital outputs driving?  If I had to guess, I would say excessive current through the channel would have caused them to fail.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(6,556 Views)

Hi,

The cFP-DO-401 module may have been damaged by high voltage transients. When a channel of the [c]FP-DO-400/401 is damaged, the channel will remain in the ON position. Though the LEDs will turn on and off correctly, the module will always output a HIGH voltage. To prevent against this type of failure in the future, you need to place a properly selected transient voltage surge suppressor (TVSS) between V and C of the module. Refer to page 11 of the manual for this caution.

See this KB for more information.

Meanwhile the cFP-DO 401  module had a redesign in June 2008 to include the voltage suppressor. 

DirkW

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(6,553 Views)

I would just like to add that the correct URL to the KnowledgeBase link that Dirk posted is here:

KB 4G2EC3K8: Why Does my [c]FP-DO-400/401 Have Channels Stuck in the On Position?

Kameralina

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(6,453 Views)