FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cFP 2110 Serial communication not working

I have been working on a project were I was doing simple serial communication via the serial port on my laptop.  I needed to control some solenoid valves with the serial pump so I hooked up a cFP-2110 controller with a relay module and was hosting the vi's on my laptop.   The serial communication worked fine.  I wanted to clean things up and move the serial communication to the cFP-2110 controller and host the vi's on the real-time target.  When I moved the vi to deploy on the target, the serial communication stop working.  I went back to the modified version of the simple serial example from LabView help, deployed it to the target and I could communicate to initialize the pump with it connected to the cFP-2110 controller.  Why does the vi work with the serial port on the computer but not when deployed on the controller?  I can see both the serial ports on the controller in max.

Thank you.

Danny
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(7,147 Views)
I would check under the software tab for the fieldpoint controller in Max and make sure that you have all of the drivers up to date based on the version of LV you are using.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(7,133 Views)

It looks like I have all the drivers in place.  I went back and modified the simple serial write and used shared variables between the host and the target so I could enter a string on the host and send it to the cFP-2110 target.  I can send a string to initalize the instrument and send it short string commands and it communicates like everythign is happy.  But If I try to send it more than a very simple string command the pump starts to move than stops, like it didn't receive all the command.  If I take the same string and connect the serial cable back to the laptop and enter it in example simple visa serial write, it completes the entire command.  I'm assuming it's a timing problem but can't figure it out.  Any ideas to fix the problem? 

Danny
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(7,115 Views)

Where does the serial communication come into play in your VI's?  All  I see are a couple of shared variables and a missing subVI called "support - acquire data".

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(7,108 Views)

danny,

It sounds like you are losing part of the long string.  I would suggest taking closer look at how the buffering is configured for your shared network variable.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(7,104 Views)

Ravens Fan, sorry, I pulled the VI's from the wrong folder to post.  Here they the correct vi's.  I just wanted a simple string program to test out the cavro pump and to make sure the serial port on the cFP was working correctly,  Wayne.C., I went to the shared variable for the string and turned on the buffer and set the Buffer number of strings to 1 and the characters per string to 100.  After doing this everything seems to work as expected.  Does this sound like the correct way to fix the problem?  Is there a downside to say setting the characters per string to say 1000 instead of 100?

Thank you for the help.

Danny
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(7,093 Views)

Danny,

This should be the way to fix the problem.  I wouldn't make the buffer much larger than it needs to be.  Probably ok to give your self a little room to grow, but don't go overboard. 

Message 7 of 7
(7,090 Views)