From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cFP-2100 stops reading in channels when computer disconnects from it

I have a VI running off my cfP-2100, and I've updated everything to 8.2.1. It runs correctly when still connected in the project window, but when I disconnect the field point, the fieldpoint does not continue to read in channels, though the program is still running. When I reconnect, it continues reading in channels as normal. Any advice for me? I'm a relative newbie at Labview and FP's.

thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,164 Views)

When you run the vi from the project window you are "targeting" the cFP.  Once you have your vi is finished and tested, you need to build the executable and deploy it.

Here is a link to get you started.  http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/258110F1F6415B1C86257213000E065A

Message 2 of 5
(6,157 Views)
Hi beaver42,

Please take a look at this KnowledgeBase.  It describes how to disconnect from a real-time target, such as a FieldPoint controller, in LabVIEW 8.x without stopping the VIs execution.

The other option is to build a startup executable as described by centerbolt.
Regards,
Ching P.
DAQ and Academic Hardware R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,136 Views)

hi Ching Pi,

Thanks for the response. Actually, I have been doing what was described in the link you posted. The VI _did_ keep running, which I verified by viewing a logged datafile and printing out the loop iteration. However, the input data from my channels would be repeated each time step, until I reconnected. Any further thoughts?

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(6,120 Views)

Hi beaver42,

For output channels, it is really easy to set the value if network communication goes down.  What you would do is set the network watchdog timer in Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX).  For more information on that, you can look at the FieldPoint help (Start » All Programs » National Instruments » FieldPoint X.XX » FieldPoint Help).  Go to the search tab and type Watchdog.  The first result should be Configuring the Network Watchdog.  This document should give you all the information you need to get started with watchdog timers.  If you have additional questions, you can also look here.

For input channels, this is not as easy.  What you can do is read the error output of the FP Read or FP Write and manually set the value if there is an error.  Below is an example of what you could do.  A more accurate way to do this is to only manually set the value for network communication errors.  You will need to unbundle the error cluster from the FP Read or FP Write and just wire the error code into the case structure.  I believe the code you will want to look for is: -33804 Ethernet communication has failed.  Possible cause: missing or
disconnected network card or network card drivers.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Message Edited by Ching P. on 08-03-2007 10:30 AM

Regards,
Ching P.
DAQ and Academic Hardware R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(6,105 Views)