From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cFP-2100 controller: cannot re-boot, stops running embeded applicaton, or stops logging data into file

Hi gurus,

Not sure if you ever have similar issues on cFP-21xx series controllers as described below:

We have 6 cFP-2100 controllers. We use them for data logging: one cFP-2100 controller and three percision balances are connected to a network switch via ethernet cables.The Labview data logging application is developed in PC and then deployed to cFP-2100. This application pulls the data from the balances and save them into file/memory of cFP-2100 every 15 seconds, and typical data logging runs 2-3 days non-stop. The communication is done via TCP/IP. The source codes are NOT written in real-time pattern, rather, major tasks are implemented in 'While' loop. There is no 'Property Node' inside the 'While' loop - this is to prevent potential communication/timing issues from happening. 

We have been using this setup for years. Most of the time, it works just fine. In recent 1 year, we did encounter several cases where the cFP-2100 either cannot reboot, or it stops data logging in the middle of test. When this happened in the past, I usually place cFP-2100 in 'Safe Mode', format the memory, and re-install all the softwares, then cFP-2100 works properly again. However, the occurence of 'cannot reboot' or 'stop data logging application' seems to be on the rise in recent a couple of months. Yesterday, two out of 4 cFP-2100 were found stopping saving data into file/memory in the middle of a 3-day test, while the data logging application seems still running inside cFP-2100 (the application makes balances beep every 15seconds, which were heard when the data saving problem was found).

So my questions are:

Since the data logging application runs properly on some of the cFP-2100 always, it proves this application itself is not the problem. Then I have to suspect some of the cFP-2100: hardware reliability degrades? or cFP-2100 has internal battery which lost its capcity over years? or just the sytems files corrupt erratically for some reason?

Gurus, any comments?

Thanks

Sean_A

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,017 Views)

Hi Sean_A,

What version of LabVIEW Real-Time are you running on these 2100 controllers?

How large are the files you are creating?  Do you ever see the memory start to get low?

When you say they cannot reboot, does this mean that pressing the reset switch does nothing?  How about power-cycling the controller?

Have a great day,

Chris V

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(6,005 Views)

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Both the LabVIEW development and Real-Time software are version 8.2.

During each data logging test, the files (three files) saved in cFP2100 have size of <2MB each. The cFP2100 has 64MB non-volatile and usually we delete old files to free memory.  I do not see the memory starts to get low.

Speaking of memory, the manual of cFP-2100 (page B-1) says 'Memory lifetime (nonvolatile)......300,000 writes per sector'. Our data log application writes to memory every 15 seconds, and we bought cFP-2100 quite a few years ago. In this case, could the non-volatile memory be the problem-maker? If we want to get non-volatile memory replaced by NI, where could I send cFP-2100 back?

To your question on re-boot issue, when that happened in the past, it did not re-boot upon power-cycling, that is why I have to use the format memory method. I did not try pressing the reset button though.

Thanks

Sean_A

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,000 Views)

Hi Sean_A,

I am confused as to how the cFP would not reboot after the power was disconnected.  Or did it just not boot up properly then?

Either way, you are correct that it is possible that you have exceeded the memory lifetime of the cFP.  If you would like to send this device in for replacement/repair, you will need to call (800) 531-5066.  You can either troubleshoot the problem with an engineer, or directly request to have the device sent in.

If you decide to have the cFP sent in without troubleshooting be sure to be specific about the memory issue as the normal repair procedure may not include replacement of the memory.

Have a great day,

Chris V

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,991 Views)

Chris,

My mistake on the 'does not reboot' statement.

Actually in all the similar statements in my previous messages, the problem should have been "the embeded data logging application did not start up and run as it is supposed to". The cFP-2100 DID reboot.

Sorry for the confusion. Hope it is clear to you now.  Do you think of other possible root-causes than the memory glitch?

Thanks

Sean_A

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,987 Views)

Sean_A,

With eratic behavior like this, especially behavior that becomes more frequent over time, I would definitely say that there is likely something wrong with the controllers themselves and your memory theory sounds as good as any.

Have a great day,

Chris V

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(5,982 Views)