FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cFP-180x firmware versions

Where can I find the changelog for the firmware versions from v6.0 through the latest (v6.08) for the cFP-180x? Also, how can I obtain each of these firmware versions? I assume that upgrading to the latest firmware will maintin backwards compatibility (except for bug fixes) with previous versions, but is there documentation somewhere for this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20
(7,296 Views)

Hi matt, 

You can find all of our drivers at ni.com/drivers, along with previous versions. Simply search for "field point" In the readme for each version there is a list of bugs that have been fixed. 

On the product page for our fieldpoints there is documentation for compatibility etc.  

Are you running into firmware problems? 

Jesse Dennis
Engineer
INTP
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 20
(7,280 Views)

Thanks, Jesse.

I'm not looking for drivers, only firmware. I know firmware versions are packaged with the Fieldpoint drivers, but I have no idea what firmware versions come with which drivers. Furthermore, I cannot install older driver versions over newer ones in order to extract the firmware images. It would be nice to be able to just download the firmware images (and for all versions).

I'm not running into problems, but am looking to upgrade the firmware in a couple cFP-180x modules in order to get Modbus support. However, I'm working with critical hardware and need documentation of backward-compatibility as well as a downgrade path (back to version 6.01) in case something doesn't work correctly. When I say backward-compatibility, I mean that firmware version 6.04 (or the latest, 6.08) works exactly as firmware version 6.01 does, except adds new features. I know there's a bug fix or two in there as well, but that shouldn't be an issue.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 20
(7,278 Views)

Hi Matt, 

You should be able to see what bios versions you have installed, as explained here, and change it if need be. The latest firmware version for compact field point is also on the download site (here). I am not sure that we ever released more than one version for the 180x series.

Normally we only change the firmware if a problem is found. I would bet that the firmware version will stay the same if you upgrade the driver. I will post again a little later with any more info I find. 

Jesse Dennis
Engineer
INTP
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 20
(7,273 Views)

Here is the latest firmware file 0608, which released with FP 6.0.7 and has multiple changes to make the Ethernet connection more robust.

The firmware is fully compatible with older drivers and 180x chassis. And you can change back to your old firmware at any time.

See the readme for 6.0.7, which has a note about the firmware change.

Put the attached firmware file into the following folder and restart Max to have the file available for a firmware update.

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\FieldPoint\Firmware\Ethernet\cFP-180x

DirkW

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 20
(7,259 Views)

Thanks, DirkW.  I have the latest firmware as I have FP 6.0.9. Do I not need the older firmware file in order to go back to the firmware I'm currently using (v6.01)? As far as I know I do not have that file.

Because I'm working with mission-critical hardware, policies stipulate that I must have two things:

1) Documentation that the new firmware is 100% backward-compatible with the previous version

2) The ability to return to the original (v6.01) firmware at any time

As of this writing I do not have either of these things. A full firmware changelog (from v6.01 to v6.08) might suffice for #1, and obviously version 6.01 of the 180x firmware will suffice for #2.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 20
(7,255 Views)

I attached the 0601 and the 0605 firmware files to this thread, so you can use them.

The 0601 firmware was the first released one for Rev B controllers and I would recommend not to use it for later revisions of 180x hardware.

The oldest working one for all revisions is the the attached 0605 version, which adds support for some more modules and modbus and optomux support.

The latest version shipping with 6.0.9 should be working with all revisions and fixes in total 5 Ethernet related issues we had with connecting to and from 10 to 100 Mbit networks, general DHCP handling, resetting IP, default values for DNS after reboot and general behavior with remote subnets.

I would recommend to use the latest firmware.

DirkW

Message 7 of 20
(7,237 Views)

Last time, i have a problem with cfp 1804.all module cannot detect through the software.But when i try to ping the ip and then got reply from the backplane. I recognize that the ready led at all the modules not on. After i change the ip adrress, the unit turn to OK back. All the ready lamp at module turn to on back. I am still confuse, why this matter can happen? is it because of the firmware? and then what should i do if it happen again? can i just push the reset button only?it is so lucky because i am bring my laptop on that day.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 20
(7,074 Views)

please email to me at ikram_aev981@yahoo.com ..i need to settle this problem asap

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 20
(7,073 Views)

Hi ikramlc, 

This sounds like a software installation problem, it most likely isn't firmware. There is a software installation tutorial here, you may need to use the dip switches to boot the controller into safe mode. Use of the dipswitches and the meaning of each of the LEDs is explained in the user manual

Let us know if you continue to have problems.

Jesse Dennis
Engineer
INTP
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 20
(7,065 Views)