From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

browse fieldpoint control problem

I have the same version. I'm not personally at the office until Friday, but i can ask that if someone could check what version there is.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 20
(4,198 Views)
Hi Englund,

I think I may have missed this, but what happens when you run the executable?  Do you get an error message when you try to browse for a FieldPoint I/O point, if so what is the message?  Does the executable just hang and require you to shut the program down before proceeding?  Please clarify what happens on the machine running only the executable.

Also, try to revert the iak file back to its original configuration and let me know what happens.
Regards,
Ching P.
DAQ and Academic Hardware R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 20
(4,193 Views)
No, there is no error message. When i choose the "Browse" from the dropdown menu nothing happens. No error messages and no hanging applications.

When i try to run something that uses the FP device it just simply doesn't work, then the application hangs due to an empty or a FP that isn't found. I will post more on Friday when i'm able to test this again.

It feels like even though i have included the iak file into the compiled application it's still unable to use/find it. So somehow that computer is stuck with the "Fieldpoint\FP @ COM1\..." file instead of my file that's "myfile\FP @ COM1\..."

I'll get back to the issue when i have had the chance to try this problem. I don't think reverting has any impact, because i tried to get it to work with the "Fieldpoint\FP @ COM1\..." and without implementing the iak file into the compiled application. It worked for maybe 1 month with this kind of settings and then suddenly stopped working.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 20
(4,191 Views)
How is the IP address assigned to your fieldpoint controller?  Is it assigned a static IP address, or getting it dynamically from a DHCP server?  If the latter, perhaps it got a new IP address assigned and there is a problem resolving the name of the controller to the new IP address.

Right now I am working with a system where my cFP controller is dynamically getting its IP assigned.  I find that if the IP address on it changes, then my PXI computer has a hard time finding it.  The first few times this happened, I would have to go into my project and tell it the new address of the RT target.  Then I figured I would be better off referring to everything by the name I assigned to the controller, rather than IP address.  It seemed to work, sort of.  While I am able to ping the cFP controller by name, I find that the PXI computer can't always find the shared variables I deployed on the cFP.  However, when I edited the hosts file on the PXI to assign the IP address to that name, it works.  At least until the next time a new IP address is assigned to the cFP, then I have to edit the file again.  One day, I may troubleshoot this further and post it as a question on the forum because right now the behavior is what I would expect it to be.  Though even if I do that and solve the problem, I will probably get our IT department to assign more static IP addresses to me and just let the cFP run on one of those.

Kind of a long story, but hopefully it will give you an idea of another direction to look in.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 20
(4,181 Views)
Thank you, that's a good point of view. But i can't see how it would help in my situation, because i have the FPs connected through the COM port and i'm running the files from the server. The iak file has a server address, but nothing to do with the IP adderes "\\Computer\Folder\Folder\myfile.iak".

But i will try to move the iak file to the C on the computer and see if it works better. But strengely the application works on my laptop no matter where i am in the world and no matter what IP i'm using.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 20
(4,177 Views)
I'm sorry.  I thought you were using a cFP controller (like a cfP-2120) module that was hooked to the network.  So you are using a remote network module like a cFP-1801?  Perhaps you could regroup, describe what PC's, laptops, and cFP hardware you are using.  Where the .iak files are located when they work and when they do not work.  Getting that information reestablished in one message again might help me or others in seeing what the pattern of errors might be.  Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 20
(4,167 Views)
Ok, i will describe what system i'm on and where it's not working and what isn't working. Now the information is spread in several different replies.

Development system:
Laptop (HP)
wlan or lan (dhcp, + several locations)
using compiled program and VIs, both work
LV 8.2
FP-1000/1001 (a few)
FP-AI-110/AO-210/DI-301/TC-120/TB-1/3
these should be the most important information

Computer with the problem
Normal workstation
LV-runtime 8.2 (i'm not sure if fp drivers are up to date, but it worked earlier)
lan (dhcp)
Connected via COM1

Application information:
Both compiled application and the VIs are on a network server \\Servername\Folder\Folder\Programs
The *.iak file is also at the same location, but in the project as the compile option it's included as "copy to application data folder"
Problem is that i have a GUI that is able to choose which FP to use in which situation. This is then written into a global variable, this to ease the updatability of the software. If i would have constants then it would be really difficult to update every VI individually. So the problem is that in a combo box i can't choose another than "Browse" and this happens only in the compiled application on the workstation computer.

I supplied a few pictures of the problem, or actually this is on the working laptop.

Normal.png is the normal view with the FP chosen.

Browse.png is what opens the Choose.png window which allows the user to choose a new FP and this doesn't open on the workstation computer.

Choose.png is explained above

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 20
(4,160 Views)

Englund,

I have had something similar working for some time but with the .iak file on a local drive not on network drive.  As I stated before I had problems with I tried the network drive.  I believe that was because I tried to use the "mapped" name of the drive and not the literal name.

Not sure what process you used to shift location of .iak file.  Here is what I did.  I started by creating a new FieldPoint Configuration with a name of my choosing that pointed directly to my .iak file.  (see attached image)  I made sure that the .iak file already had the exact path it would have for the installed executable.  This is the window that pops up when you "browse" a FP I/O point.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 20
(4,138 Views)
Yeah i've been planning to move the program to the workstation and give it a name on the C: drive. It's just on the network drive so that i would be able to update the system as i go on with the programming. I will move it to the workstation and report what kind of result it will give.

And on my laptop i get precicely that same kind of screen with 2 FP configs but i have the path as i stated before \\servername\folder.....iak

Message Edited by Englund on 09-27-2007 09:04 PM

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 20
(4,136 Views)
FP driver update

My: 5.0.3009
Workstation: 5.0.0116

And then i have an old MAX on my workstation 4.0

So i try to update this and look what happens

Message Edited by Englund on 09-28-2007 09:19 AM

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 20