FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(a) How do I connect PCI-485/2 to FP-1001 modules (cables, adapters, Terminal Box or converters? (b) How do I wire FP-1001 modules to get a Full Duplex network up to PCI-485/2?

We are going to set up an RS-485 network with FieldPoint, we need to know which cables to buy and wiring diagram for connecting the FP-1001 modules to a PCI-485/2 card. Can I use CAT-5 UTP cables that we use for our existing LAN?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,261 Views)
You can access in the following link

http://digital.ni.com/manuals.nsf/websearch/09D22E8CC0E973C68625678400737AFD?OpenDocument&node=132100_US

the manual for the FP-1001 and in the Chapter 2 "Hardware Installationa and Configuration" you can find a detailed description of the cabling needed as well as the procedure to install.
Regarding your PCI-485/2 card, as long it is installed in your computer, the ports will be recognized and there is no special procedure.

Best Regards

Andre Oliveira
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,261 Views)
Thank you for answering. I did go through the FP-1000/1001 user manual. However, it does not say exactly how to wire a PCI-485/2 card to a RS-485 network. Let me rephrase my question: The PCI-485/2 has two DB-9 male connector as ports. How can I hook up the 5 pin combicon connector on a FP-1001 to one of the PCI-485/2 DB-9 male connectors? This issue was not addressed on the manual. I went through the 'Getting started with PCI serial HW...' (322950a), but it does not say exactly how to connect a 4-wire RS-485 cable into a PCI-485/2 DB-9 male port. I hope i have been able to explain the situation now.

Best Reagards
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,261 Views)
Tanveer,

The RS-485 standard does not specify a particular connector jack and/or pin-out so you typically see variations throughout the products that provide RS-485 serial communications capabilities. For this reason, the FP-1000/1001 User Manual and the PCI-485/2 User manual do not specify how to connect to each other (or other devices) by pin numbers, but rather by signal names. Likewise, there is no common RS-485 cable with connectors offered for sale.

You will have to build your own custom cable. It is best to use a shielded cable with two twisted pairs.
From a host interface (PCI-485/2), you will cross wire the transmit and receive lines to the first device. This means that you are connecting Tx+(host) to Rx+(sensor), Tx-(host) to
Rx- (sensor), Rx+(host) to Tx+(sensor), and Rx-(host) to Tx-(sensor). The pinout for the PCI-485/2 should be in the user manual. I believe, but am not totally sure (please re-check the manual), that pin 1 is gnd, pin 4 is Rx+, pin 5 is Rx-, pin 8 is Tx+ and pin 9 is Tx-. You will use one of the twisted pairs for the Tx+ and Tx- lines (host) and the other twisted pair for the Rx+ and Rx0 lines (host).

Regards,
Aaron
Message 4 of 4
(3,261 Views)