FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the best way to load FieldPoint measurement data into PI System?

I am finding the best way to load data collected by NI Field Point (FP2220) into the PI system of our power plant.

I found pieces of information about FieldPoint OPC server in NI.com. Not sure if it comes with Field Point Hardware, sold by NI as a separate product or it is actually non-standard NI products. Anyway, I know that there exists a thing called FieldPoint OPC server.

The PI system I mentioned has a OPC client software called PI-OPC interface. It is able to communicate with standard OPC DA server. If that FieldPoint OPC server is a standard OPC DA server provide data collected by Field Point complying to OPC standard, than that's perfect.

Anyone familar with PI system and NI product, please help if the above is going to work or if there is a better way to put Fieldpoint data into PI.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(7,403 Views)
Hi Roger,

The FieldPoint OPC Server does comply to the OPC standard, and it comes with the FieldPoint driver.  Therefore, you should be able to subscribe to it using your client software.  Take a look at some of the Frequently Asked Questions for some documentation, specifically the section called "Can I Interface Compact FieldPoint with a Supervisory Host Computer or SCADA Software Package?"
Eric C.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(7,371 Views)

Hi Eric,

Regarding to connecting to compact fieldpoint with OPC standard, I would like to know how to configure field point in this setup.

1, I have already had a OPC client software. Except the OPC server that come with the Fieldpoint Driver CD, do I need other software to collect data from Fieldpoint to my OPC client? Do I still need LabView?

2, Where do I specify gain, offset and scan interval for each Fieldpoint channel? in the OPC client or in the OPC server?

Looking forward to your assistance.

Regards,

Roger

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(7,222 Views)

Hi Eric,

In addition to my query on my last message about OPC fieldpoint setup. I also want to know if the Fieldpoint OPC server is run as a "exe" application or a windows service.

Regards,

Roger

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(7,220 Views)
Hi Roger,

You should not need any other software besides your OPC client to acquire data from the FP.  Certainly LabVIEW would add a lot of additional functionality to your application, but it should not be necessary.  Additionally, you should be able to set the scan interval with your OPC client.  I say "should" here because I cannot speak for a third-party OPC client.  The range (or gain) can be configured with Measurement and Automation Explorer, a software piece that installs with NI drivers.  Check under the Remote Systems tab to see these settings for your FP.  You may be able to do this with your OPC client.  The FieldPoint OPC Server runs as an exe when the client attempts to connect.

I hope this information helps!
Eric C.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(7,198 Views)

Hi Eric,

This information really helpful, thanks. Regarding to the NI OPC server for NI FieldPoint, I have the other query.

In my setup, there are two sets of FieldPoint located in two different locations on my ethernet network. They are going to be controlled by a single PC. If I am going to connect both my FieldPoint sets with OPC standard, how many NI OPC server for FieldPoint do I need to connect to? Are there two NI OPC servers each serves one FieldPoint set? Or there is only NI OPC server which serves both FieldPoint sets?

I am concerning about the number of NI OPC server instances running, because the number of OPC client license I need to purchase depends on how many OPC server I need to connect to. If one NI OPC server serves both my FieldPoint sets, I only need to buy one OPC client license; otherwise, I need to purchase two. In the future, I am going to have another two sets of FieldPoint sets, so the answer of my query determines how many OPC clients I need to purchase eventually - One or four. A huge price difference.

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards,

Roger

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(7,153 Views)
Hi Roger,

The FieldPoint OPC Server will run on the computer that is controlling both of the FieldPoint systems.  Therefore, you will only require one instance of the FieldPoint OPC Server to run.  You should be able to access the I/O points for both FieldPoint systems from one FieldPoint OPC Server.
Eric C.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(7,141 Views)

Hi Eric,

Thanks very much!

Roger

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(7,133 Views)

Roger,

Were you successful in using NI-OPC server with the PI-OPC interface?  Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(6,116 Views)

Hello Mike,

Do you have any specific questions for your similar application beyond what has been laid out and clarified on this forum? If so, I will try to assist since this forum has been dormant for >3 years and we can't guarantee the previous users will respond.

Thank you,

Deborah Y.

Deborah Burke
NI Hardware and Drivers Product Manager
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(6,096 Views)