FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waht is the difference between cables 778621-01 and 189985-01?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(7,584 Views)

Take a look at page 9 of this link.  http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/323493b.pdf

It's not clear, but I am going to guess that the extra power cable is designed for the V and C terminals that would be present if you were using a CB-1 connector block?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(7,575 Views)
Ravensfan, you are right. It is the extra power cable.
Warm regards,
Karunya R
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(7,561 Views)

Seeing this question came at just the right time for me.  For my latest cFP system, I decided to use the 37 pin cable and a socket to terminal board on DIN rail

778672-01CB-37FV 37-Pin Screw Terminal Block, Vertical, DIN Rail Mount
to make my wiring terminations  (my other cFP used the CB1 blocks and I wired all my terminations into it).

I just got into really connecting everything up and testing out the cFP operation with the external devices and sensors.  I discovered I forgot to hook up voltage and common to the boards so that digital inputs and outputs would work right.  If I had seen the cable with power cord before now, I could have bought that and used it.

In then end, I realized that the terminal board only goes up to 32 (so there are 5 unused numbers)  I discovered that V is on pins 33 and 34.  Common is on pins 35 and 36 on the terminal board and in the cable.  (I still don't know what pin 37 is for.)

I had to discover this with a continuity checker on my CB1 terminal block.  I wasn't able to find on NI's documentation online any good wiring diagram of a cable or CB1 board to describe the functions of all 37 pins.  The module manuals were fine for telling what pins 1 through 32 did.  But nothing I have yet discovered showed pins 33 through 37.  I just thing there could be some better documentation either with the terminal board or in the I/O module manuals as to what pin numbers are associated with the "extra" pins.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(7,553 Views)

Thanks all,  My question was answered.

BTW, I believe pin 37 is used in the special case where thermocouples are used as inputs and need a cold junction compensation.

jdowell

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(7,532 Views)

Hi Ravens Fan,

I will enter a product suggestion to improve the documentation for the cables. Thank you for your suggestion. 

Warm regards,
Karunya R
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(7,528 Views)

Hi RavensFan,

Page 7 of the Compact FieldPoint Operating instructions lists what pins 33-37 do. You are right in saying that pins 33/34 are V and 35/36 are common.  Pin 37 is a CJC terminal.

Let me know if you need more detailed information. 

Warm regards,
Karunya R
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(7,525 Views)

Thank you Karunya.

For some reason I had not seen that documentation page before. 

JDowell, that was a good pickup on pin 37 being the CJC!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(7,513 Views)