From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Values do not get set in FieldPoint when using OPC.

We are using FieldPoint with over an ethernet communicating with them using Datasocket and VB.net. 

We are able to read and write to all modules using the datasocket control in VB.NET except for the PWM outputs.  We can not set any values (ontime, offtime, pulse mode, etc...). 

We have a duplicate pc set up that works fine and is able to read and write to the PWM channels just fine.  We use the same versions of MAX, FieldPoint, and VB.NET on the one that works as the one that does not.  The only difference is that the system works is running Windows2000 and the one that does not is running WindowsXP.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,716 Views)
jboden,
Are you able to use MAX to manually controll the PWM module? That is, can you select your PWM module under fieldpoint items in MAX and write values out to the channels?

Also (and this is a very long shot), do you have your Windows XP firewall up? If so, try taking it down to see if that makes a difference.

Chris C
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,702 Views)

Thanks for the response Chris. 

We disabled the XP firewall completely in previous tries. Even if this were the issue, would not the firewall block our communications with the other relay modules that are on the same FP ethernet module?

We can set the values using MAX directly.  On the PC that works, I can also bring up MAX and watch the values change as our OPC client changes them.  On the PC that does not work, the values never change as we set them from our OPC server.  This is only for the PWM modules.

Thanks,

Jay

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,701 Views)
Jay,
NI ships an OPC client called Server Explorer. It can be found by going to Start>>Programs>>National Instruments>>Server Explorer. Your OPC server should appear in the list if it is registered on the PC, and since you can control other modules by reading from your server, it probably is. Do you see the values of the OPC server changing in Server Explorer?

You may just have a goofy install of the driver. Try repairing the driver by going to "Add \ remove programs", select "NI Software" and hit "change". Select the Fieldpoint driver from this list and then hit the repair button. Let us know what you find.

Chris C
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,682 Views)

Chris,

I had already removed the complete install of any NI software.  After uninstalling I even deleted the "\Program Files\National Instruments\" folder.  Reinstalled everything and still the same.  That was the last thing I tried before sumbitting messages to this forum.

It does not work from "Server Explorer" either.  Had tried that already.

Jay

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,669 Views)
Jay,

So you don't see your OPC server (not an NI product) changing values in server explorer? If that's the case, then the value is never reaching the NI FP driver in order to update the module. Am I understanding you correctly?

Chris C

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,650 Views)