From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating fieldpoint software by end user?

Hi Folks,

I'm wondering what is the easist, most fool proof way of updating a set of real-time software on a compactFieldPoint?

I can't really expect my end users to navigate through MAX. Is there any type of update utility provided by NI, or an 'installer' build like there is for LabVIEW?

Thanks,
Jamie
v2009 devel. w/RT
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(6,758 Views)
Hi!
   That was my need to, and I think there's no other way than configuring cFP via MAX, at least as a first step.  An hybrid solution we used, is to ship pre-configured (with MAX) modules, and the end user just download application, or transfer through FTP configuration files (depending on specific application).  That's quite safe, and can be made automtic.

Of course, if your customer is far from your offices, and you prefer he can buy modules directly from local NI representative, he will have to mess a little bit with MAX...

Hope someday a solution can be found for this problem, for example modules with removable hard-drives, so that you can ship a simple flash card configured to customer.

graziano
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(6,755 Views)
Also check out the System Replication tools, new in 8.2 or so, I think.  You can setup a controller programmatically
from an image.

Matt
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(6,750 Views)
Actually the systems are initially deployed [setup] in house, so that's no problem. Once the systems reach the field we're trying to avoid a hardware returns to update the cFP flash.

It sounds like a small FTP script is in order. I'll take a look at the replication tools.

Regards,
Jamie
v2009 devel. w/RT
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(6,746 Views)
So it seems I can easily update the VI software. What about the RT OS itself? Some of our field units didn't have RT installed (just used as 'dummy' controllers) but now they do require it.

Any thoughts? Still looking for that replication option...

v2009 devel. w/RT
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(6,739 Views)
Haven't run across that specific situation, but the replication tools will let you take an image of a controller, then
upload that to subsequent controllers, so will handle updating the OS/RT as required.

On my 8.5.1 they are under 'User Libraries'->'RT System Replication'.  The tools as they are will let you copy a
controller, we usually dig in a little and create a user friendly wrapper based on the sub-vis.

Matt
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(6,736 Views)

I'm just starting to play with the replication 'toolkit'. It seems that it will do exactly as I need.

The great thing is the included example is command-line executable, which as they state can be added to a host software installation package! Kudo's to NI for being a step ahead.

Thanks for the replies, I'll let you know how it works out.

Jamie

v2009 devel. w/RT
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(6,733 Views)
Hi!
   actually, I'm using LV 7.1 Smiley Happy never heard about such a tool! Thanks for your post!

graziano
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(6,710 Views)