FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to hook up 2 FP-1600 modules using a Netgear Switch. One works, one doesn't.

I've already checked cables and ethernet switch.
I've set different IP's for each FP-1600. The FP-1600 were configured directly to the PC using a cross-over cable and work fine in that mode. I can operate one FP-1600 network thru the ethernet switch, but the second one can't communicate thru the ethernet switch, even with the 1st sytem disconnected. What can I do to make it work??
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,952 Views)
Brian,

There are a couple of possiblities that immediately present themselves. First of all, some (higher end) switches offer management options and may filter broadcast UDP. The browse functionality of FieldPoint ethernet modules is UDP-based so a switch/hub that filters UDP will not allow you to browse for the module. Since you are able to see one FP-1600 but not the other, I do not think that this is the case. Alternatively, since UDP is restricted to the same subnet, you need to make sure that the IP Address and Subnet mask that you programmed the FP-1600's with place the FP-1600's on the same subnet with the computer. Finally, some other causes may be duplicated IP Addresses (2 FP-1600's or a FP-1600 and a computer), a bad port on the switch, or using the wrong
port on the switch. Some switches and hubs offer two ports that are wired together, one will be labeled with a number, the other as an uplink port. Some models will place a mark such as a bar underlining the two ports. However, it is not uncommon to wire cables into both ports thus causing communication collisions. Some models get around this by offering a switch that puts a single jack into either mode rather than two jacks.

Regards,
Aaron
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,952 Views)