From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Velocity Measurement Using cFP QUAD-510

I want to use the cFP QUAD-510 Module with a 1024 Count Per Revolution Quadrature Encoder to get velocity, direction, and placement of a rotating shaft. The shaft is a VERY SLOW ROTATING SHAFT, about 1 revolution per 7 seconds, or .143 rps. The encoder frequency is 1024 X .143 which comes to 143.432 Hz. I have two questions:

1. Since the velocity counter registers in the QUAD-510 are fixed in microsecond references, will I get a meaningful resolution out of the registers with an encoder freq. of 143Hz?

2. Is 143Hz too slow for the QUAD-510 and should I just change over to an absolute encoder with a DIO Module and do my own velocity calculations with loops and longer time bases?

I know the quadrature will work for placement and direction. But I am not sure if this is the right application for velocity.

Ron Kocol
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,956 Views)
Ron-

Due to how slow your encoder is running, I can’t guaranty the accuracy of the velocity readings from the counter references.  A better way to do this would be to simply take the derivative of your position (dx/dt).  This way it will be as accurate as possible.
Regards,

Mike S
NI AE
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(5,941 Views)