Thanks for the response. I tried the program and it works! That's the good news. The bad news is that when I modified it to add a data going the opposite way (from the reader to the writer) I couldn't get that part to work. The modified versions are attached. I made a few notes while I did this exercise that I'll share here in case they might be important.
1. When I build the .exe / .dll file from the LogosWriterRT.vi, I am told about the file "C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 7.1\vi.lib\system\Glogos.dll" that "Target OS has its own version of this DLL."
2. I don't see any items created in Max in Data Neighborhood, during/after I run either the original files you told me about or my modified ones, before during and after I Refreshed and closed/reopend Max.
3. In Max, when I click under the Data Neighborhood which is under Remote Systems-cFP 2120-Data Neighborhood (i.e., not the same Data Neighborhood as I mention in #2) I get the message, "Could not load item names from the remote system. An unknown internal condition has occured. Possible cause: unrecoverable operating system error."