FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting IP address on the cFP-1804

Hello,

I just purchased the cFP-1804. I would like to connect it via Ethernet crossover cable to a PC (that will be running LabVIEW). I have connected the cFP-1804 and the PC. The cFP-1804 and PC both indicate that they are connected (i.e. - the cFP-1804 indicates a green LED under 100mbps and a organish LED for active and the PC indicates that a connection is made at 100mbps as seen on the toolbar). When I open MAX and look under "Remote" heading it does not list the default IP address. I have read through most of the help files and it suggested I right click on "remote" and create new. I did so. However, it asked for the IP address of the cFP-1804, I could not find that information nor could I figure out how to determine it. My best guess was to open the windows network connect and see what it read the IP address to be (but I think it may have given me the PC's IP address). I plugged that IP in but it said it could not connect to that device b/c it is not online.

Does anyone know how to properly congiure the cFP-1804 to be recognized by the host computer (i.e.-determine the IP address). I know that in order for the cFP-1804 to appear in MAX the target has to be on the same local subnet as your PC but I am figuring that if they are directly connected they would be. If they are not is there a way to get them on the subnet mask? If not what other methods do I have connected these two devices?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 25
(9,490 Views)

Hello rchaoua,

If you are having trouble seeing an unconfigured target in MAX, the issue is most likely that the Windows Firewall is blocking the default IP address of the cFP-1804.  Please turn off any firewall you may have and then refresh MAX.  You should then see a real-time target with an IP address of 0.0.0.0 under Remote Systems.  If you are using Windows XP, you should be able to turn off your Windows firewall by going to Start >> Control Panel >> Security Center >> Windows Firewall, under the General tab you can turn off the firewall.  Once you have configured you cFP-1804, you should be able to turn your firewalls on again.

If you still need assistance seeing the IP address of your cFP-1804, please refer to this KnowledgeBase article.

Regards,
Ching P.
DAQ and Academic Hardware R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 25
(9,485 Views)
Thanks, I will give it a try this afternoon and let everyone know how it goes.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 25
(9,480 Views)
I've turned off the firewall on Windows and had no luck finding the cFP-1804 network module. I followed the instructions in the KB article you sent and tried the information in several others I found. At this point I am not sure what to do. FYI, I am using an Ethernet crossover cable. I've tried reseting the IP address but that doesn't help either. Windows keeps telling me I am connected but I can not get MAX to show the elsuive 0.0.0.0 IP address. I have a few questions.

1. It says to type in the IP address and subnet address. However, I have found no real strong information on how this can correctly be done correctly (for the host PC and the cFP-1804). I would like to know how to do this properly. Though this is the furthest of my problems right now.

2. Is there anything else I can try to get me cFP-1804 connected to the host PC? I uninstalled my McAffee Firewall and turned off the windows firewall. As mentioned above I have followed the KB article and was unsuccessful with connecting. I could of swore they made it sound so much easier when I spoke with the sales rep.

3. Is there a tech support number I can call to get a walk through?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 25
(9,467 Views)
Plus, my cFP-1804 module Status LED is blinking red. Any ideas?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 25
(9,465 Views)

You are using a X-over cable to connect to the CFP.  Is the computer connected to a LAN at all?  Perhaps the computer does not have an IP address assigned.  Go to a command prompt and type ipconfig and see what comes up.

With a crossover cable, you are basically making your own private LAN.  Most computers use DHCP to get their IP address, but on a simple LAN of a point to point connection, there is no DHCP server to have the computer get an IP address.  You may need to statically assign those values to the computer's network card before you will be able to see the cFP on the crossover cable.

The blinking red light on the cFP means is is waiting to be configured.

Message Edited by Ravens Fan on 10-08-2007 11:01 PM

Message 6 of 25
(9,461 Views)
Thanks for the reply, I figured out the meaning of the red LED on the STATUS indicator.

Yes, I am using a xover cable to connect the cFP. No, the PC is not connected to a LAN. It does have an IP address assigned to it. 

If the computer does not have an IP address assigned I would like to statically assign one. However, all of the articles I have read make it sound like you pull any number out of the air and that is your IP address. I would like a little more direction than "Set the IP address". Any suggestions? After the IP address I must set the subnet mask once again some thing I would like a little more direction on.

Any assistance on setting the IP and subnet mask on the host PC first would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 25
(9,457 Views)
Sorry for the late night ramblings.

I've tried to set the computer's IP address and subnet mask it is:

I still have not been able to get a connection to cFP-1804 module. I find it odd that windows will say I am connected to the module at 100 mbps but I cannot actually connect to it using MAX.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 25
(9,453 Views)

Hi rchaoua,

Do you have NI-FieldPoint installed?  Without the FieldPoint driver, MAX will be unable to detect the cFP-1804.  If you need to install the FieldPoint driver and are using LabVIEW 7.1, 8.0 or 8.2, you can download it from here.  If you need the FieldPoint driver and are using a different version of LabVIEW, let me know and I'll be more than happy to help you locate the correct version of the FieldPoint driver to use.

If you are unsure whether you have the FieldPoint driver installed, expand My System >> Software in MAX, and if the FieldPoint driver is installed you will see FieldPoint in the software tree.

Additionally, if your computer has firewalls in addition to the Windows firewall, that may also be blocking the device from being discovered in MAX.  Make sure all firewalls are turned off as well as any anti-virus software.  On occasion, I have seen anti-virus software prevent devices from being discovered in MAX.

Please let me know if you need additional assistance.

Message Edited by Ching P. on 10-09-2007 09:00 AM

Regards,
Ching P.
DAQ and Academic Hardware R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 25
(9,440 Views)

Thanks for the reply Ching. I used the CD to install the FieldPoint SW that occupanied the HW. I am pretty sure the drivers were contained on this CD. I have LabVIEW 8.5, will the link to the FielPoint Driver still work? Any assistance in finding the correct one will be very helpful. In the meantime I will check if the driver is installed.

I have turned off all firewalls but not the anit-virus software (McAffee). I will do that and provide updates this afternoon.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 25
(9,436 Views)