FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial port detection

hi
i have one query in cFP 2020. I want to utilize my 3 RS-232 port and 485 port. In Max, i could not locate, where i have to configure ?. There is no much details in the 2020 manual. WRT manual, the LV is detecting the processor com port and LPT only, but it is not listing as port 0, port 1,2 and port 3.

i want to test the ports with hyperterminal of windows 2000. is it possible ? if not, is there any VI to test the ports?

Karthik
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,850 Views)

Dear Karthik,

The attached file contains to LabVIEW programs which demonstrate how to use serial communication in Fieldpoint Real-time. The programs can be used in LabVIEW 7 and later, with the FP-20xx and cFP-20xx modules.
The programs use an error checking technique and indicate their status using three of the LED's on the Fieldpoint controller.
One program is written using the serial compatibility vi's; the other program is written using the VISA communication vi's.
The programs sent out data (the current time) on their serial port, and expect a response. If no response is obtained within 200 ms, the error LED (LED B) will blink. To test the communication, it is best to connect pin 2 and 3 together (loopback connector). Anything that is sent out is then read back immediately.
Fieldpoint Explorer version 4.0 was used in this example.

Have a great day!
Marni S.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,839 Views)

Hai Marni,

Kindly Clarify this also, In the cFP 2020 manual, it is mentioned that " If you are not running an embedded application, you must target the cFP-20

xx in order to access the serial ports."

The VIs sent by you,Whether  will take care of the 4 serial port test (includes Three RS232,  RS485). I couldn't locate about serial port in the MAX. The configuration of cFP2020 in MAX means "setting the IP, Find Devices only". If anything more to configure, figure it out.

In the VI Guide lines "Modify the Fieldpoint IO Point constants on the block diagram to match your IP configuration", IO point means ?

I am going to short (2 and 3) for RS 232 (port 0, port 1, port 2)       &          (7 and 3) (2 & 6)   for RS 485 (port 4).

I hope it is enough to test the cFP ports with ur VIs.

I attached the VI for reference.

Thanx in advance

Karthikraja

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,813 Views)
Dear Karthikraja.

1. Kindly Clarify this also, In the cFP 2020 manual, it is mentioned that " If you are not running an embedded application, you must target the cFP-20xx in order to access the serial ports."

The manual is saying that you need LabVIEW Real-Time if you are not running an embedded application. To target the cFP-2020 in LabVIEW, open LabVIEW and select Operate>>Switch Execution Target>>Select Target with Options. You can then add the IP of your cFP controller to the list of targets.

2. The VIs sent by you, Whether  will take care of the 4 serial port test (includes Three RS232,  RS485). I couldn't locate about serial port in the MAX.

The serial ports will not show up in MAX, but you they are labeled on the controller as COM 0, COM 1, etc. Use this as an input in Serial Port Init.vi. Cfp_serial_test_comp.vi only reads from one serial port. If you want to access all 4 you will have to use 4 Serial Port Inits, Serial Port Writes, etc.

3. The configuration of cFP2020 in MAX means "setting the IP, Find Devices only". If anything more to configure, figure it out.

This means going into MAX and expanding Remote Devices. Find the IP or name of your controller. Right click on that IP or name and select Find Devices.

4. In the VI Guide lines "Modify the Fieldpoint IO Point constants on the block diagram to match your IP configuration", IO point means ?

Once everything is configured in MAX you can open up the VI, click on the down arrow for the input, and select Browse. In the window that pops up, select Refresh. Expand the tree in the left window until you see your cFP-2020 under the correct IP address. Then in the window on the right select the correct LED.

Have a great day!

Marni S.

Message 4 of 4
(3,788 Views)