From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requesting information on cFP-18x using Ethernet UDP

Hello,

Would like to migreate communications to cFP-18x module from serial RS-232 to Ethernet UDP/IP.

Can anyone supply options and alternatives for this goal?

Best path forward would be using the same ASCII string from serial RS-232 using Ethernet UDP/IP.

Thoughts?

Doug

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,764 Views)

Hi Doug,

Could you explain with more detail what you want to do....

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(6,745 Views)

Request is to change from serial interface to Ethernet UDP/IP for command/control and status using the same ASCII string messaging as with serial interface as goal.

If that is not available, then what type of messaging for command / conttol and statusing are avaiable using Ethernet UDP/IP messaging.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(6,732 Views)

Hi DunnDo@nges

Basically what devices are you communicating with? I am seen that you have a cFP-180X, but in the other side what kind of device do you have?

I would say that if your device can handle this kind of communication you would be able to send commands to it, but first I would like to know what kind of devices do you have. 

Meanwhile you can do a small test, create an UDP/IP communication and write *IDN?\n to see if we have an answer from your device.

Please let me know what devices do you have and how this test goes,

Regards 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(6,702 Views)

The types of devices we comminicated with via cFP-180x are:   cFP-DI-301  and  cFP-DI-300.

Is there a document (ICD) that documentents Ethernet UDP/IP messaging to and from cFP devices listed above?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(6,697 Views)

more details on request... current messaging using serial RS-232 connection is via "Optomux".

ultamiate goal would to use same ASCII string messages via "Optomux" via UDP.   If that is not doable, what messaging via UDP is avaiable?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(6,686 Views)

So basically you have a cFP-180X and two Digital Input modules and you are programming this via RS-232? Are you sending those ASCII commands to another device (are you controlling another device with the cFP via RS-232) or are you controlling the cFP with  these commands?

So your question is that if you send for example *IDN?\n via UPD are you going to receive the answer from the device that "speaks" serial? Could you explain with more details  about your project or what do you want to do

Furhemore What LabVIEW version do you have? 

regards

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(6,669 Views)