FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote access of cFP serial ports

Hello all.

I'm getting ready to modify a system that has a cFP embedded in it.  Right now the cFP is really just used as remote I/O by a PC running a deployed executable.  This PC also directly communicates with 3 instruments associated with the process.  This works well but requires that the PC be hardwired to the instruments.  I want to modify things so that I use the existing serial ports on the cFP to directly control the instruments associated with the process.  This will allow me to switch to a laptop PC that can roam the wireless network in my lab.  Besides, I'd hate to waste perfectly good COM ports!

I'm considering using VIServer to remotely run embedded vi's that perform the serial communication functions.  VIServer is new territory for me.  Does anyone have any experience with the extra delays involved in remotely running a vi like this?  I wouldn't think they would be any worse than using one of the NI ethernet serial ports. 

LV8.2
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,129 Views)
Hi centerbolt,

As with any process transmitting data, the performance of VI Server depends heavily on the rate and the amount of data passed between the host and the target. If your front panel is updating 50 waveform charts at 100 kHz there will be a noticeable lag going over the network. Here are some sites about remote front panels (which use VI Server) which discuss bandwidth issues.

Developing Remote Front Panel LabVIEW Applications
Distance-Learning Remote Laboratories using LabVIEW -- See Application Administration section
NI Discussion Forum: Remote Panel bandwidth

Let me know if you have any more questions. Cheers.

Michael K.

| Michael K | Project Manager | LabVIEW R&D | National Instruments |

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,114 Views)