FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Panel Monitoring of RT Application Builder

Hi,

I am trying to run a RT LabVIEW Application, built with Application Builder and saved onto my FieldPoint module, but I want to see if it is actually running on boot-up. The top-level VI is supposed to communicate with another program over the network, and I was wondering if I could use Remote Front Panels to monitor this communication.

Note: I am not just running a VI on the RT target. I used the Application Builder to create a standalone program, and I want to make sure it is working and communicating correctly.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,530 Views)
Hello rattofest,

Take a look at the following resources, which describe how to view a deployed application through a web browser by connecting to the embedded web server on your Fieldpoint controller.

How to Create and Download an Executable to a FieldPoint Target to be Monitored by a Remote Front Pa...

KB 2GD9NCZ8: How Can I View Remote LabVIEW Real-Time Front Panels in a Web Browser?

I hope this helps,

Travis G.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support

Message Edited by Travis G. on 07-10-2006 07:04 PM

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,508 Views)
Thanks...but when I open "index.htm", the frame which is supposed to contain the top-level VI reads "Requested VI is not loaded into memory of server computer." I can verify that "startup.exe" has been saved onto the FieldPoint controller's memory (I can see the file when I ftp the STARTUP directory). However, the remote front panel doesn't see it.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,497 Views)
Hello rattofest,

Can you verify that the program is definitely running on the RT controller?  Sometimes I add some code write values to turn on and off the LEDs on the Fieldpoint controller as an indication that the VI is indeed running.  Also verify that the Web Server is enabled on your RT controller and the client PC is authorized to connect to this web server by reviewing steps 2 through 6 of the KB linked above, How Can I View Remote LabVIEW Real-Time Front Panels in a Web Browser.

There could be a networking issue that is preventing you from accessing the remote panel, but if you can FTP and download executables to the controller this is probably not the case.

Could you provide us with some more information about your system, such as what Fieldpoint controller you are using, what version (including base, full, or professional) of LabVIEW are you using, etc.

Regards,
Travis G.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,471 Views)
I am using LabVIEW 7.1, FieldPoint cFP-2020.

I can verify that the application is working because I can use a VI running on the host machine (my desktop PC) to communicate with it (on the FieldPoint box). I am sending XML messages via "UDP Write.vi" which are parsed by the real-time application. I am getting my desired results, even if I turn the FieldPoint controller off, disconnect it from the LAN, and turn it back on.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,467 Views)
Hello rattofest,

I think I might have found the issue.  When you download an executable to a Fieldpoint target, the front panel of the program is removed to save space.  Therefore, in order to be able to connect to a remotely running executable, a copy of the executable must remain on the host in a specific location.  Before copying the executable to the controller, place a copy of it on your host PC in the following directory:

C:\ni-rt\startup.exe

Every time you change and rebuild the executable you will need to copy it into this directory on your host PC before downloading it onto the RT target.  Let me know if this solves the issue.

Regards,
Travis G.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,433 Views)