FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with COM on FP-AI-110

I am having an issue reading a 4-20 mAmp signal from an oxygen sensor. I am using a FP-A110 to read the signal but the values in Measurement and Automation Explorer are not valid. I know the sensor and signal box are working correctly because I observe the correct amperage with my amp meter.

My setup (see attachment) has an incoming 120 VAC power supply. I am driving an OXY-SEN control box and a SOLA AC->DC converter. The SOLA is then powering a FP1000 and FP-AI110. The sensor is a "loop powered" signal so I am using the I_in and COM terminals on the AI-110. I've read some stuff here(http://forums.ni.com/t5/FieldPoint-Family/4-20-mA-current-source-not-reading-properly-on-AI-110/td-p...) about multiple connections between FP's and measurement instruments causing problems. So, I checked and I have continuity (dotted line in image) between the ground on my machine (i.e. ground of the OXY-SEN) and the COM terminal on my AI-110. Is this OK?

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(6,606 Views)

tir38,

It sounds (and looks) like everything is wired up correctly. You may want to take a look at the field wiring guide http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3344 for some further tips on reading analogu signals. Have you also checked the current transducer? I think the best thing to do is divide and conquer the system. 🙂

Sam S
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(6,596 Views)

I still don't have this figured out so, to clarify a few things:

My sensor is definitely working correctly. When I probe the sensor 4-20 mA output terminals with my amp meter, I read a legitimate value (17 mA when reading 21 on a 0-25 scale).

However, I think I have a ground loop problem. The COM terminal on my AI-110 should be at the same potential as the building system ground, right? Well if I probe between the COM terminal and ground, I read 3.5 mA. Obviously current is flowing through this connection which mean they aren't at the same potential.(see 1st attachment)

I am trying to use a signal conditioner (http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Process_Controls/Signal_Conditioners/FC-11) but it doesn't seem to be helping. When I hook up the sensor 4-20 to the signal conditioner, I read zero amps on my amp meter from the "output" side. (see 2nd attachment)

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(6,558 Views)

Doesn't he FC-11 needs a separate 24V supply on wired on its output side? See pg 2 of the sheet:

http://www.automationdirect.com/static/manuals/scdatasheet/fc_11.pdf

Don't use the same 24V supply you already have or you will be defating the purpose of isolation.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(6,552 Views)

Why do you have the common of the analog input module connected to building ground? 

Wiring an ammeter between common and ground isn't going to tell you much.  Wire in a voltmeter.  The ammeter is going to have a near zero resistance.  So 3.3 or 3.5 mA through a near zero resistance could be a very small voltage difference as well.

You haven't said what the reading is on your AI-110 when you have the oxygen sensor readout connected to the Iin and Com terminals of your AI-110.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(6,547 Views)

"Why do you have the common of the analog input module connected to building ground? " Are you refering to the picture in the intial post? I was saying that I had continuity between those two points, unknowingly. That is not the case now.

Regarding the additional powersupply: It seems like I'm isolating the power supply and not the signal. I understand how this will work but something seems "off" to me. Do people really have to buy an isolator and power supply every time this happens? Is there a way to isolate the entire power supply or to run multiple isolators off the same supply? The only reason I ask is that I have two sensors with the same problem (i'm actually reading from two O2 sensors).

Also, if I have two power supplies but the same ground (see attachment) won't I still have the same ground loop?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(6,540 Views)

@tir38 wrote:

"Why do you have the common of the analog input module connected to building ground? " Are you refering to the picture in the intial post? I was saying that I had continuity between those two points, unknowingly. That is not the case now.

I was thinking more about the first picture in message #3.  I guess it is not so much that they are directly connected, but your ammeter is connecting those two.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(6,533 Views)

Right, I just wanted to see if the COM and building system ground were at the same potential. I will put a voltmeter in there instead and get a reading.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(6,530 Views)