FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem reformatting fieldpoint 2015 ethernet controller

I was attempting to update the time server settings on my Field Point 2015 Ethernet Controller Module - I'm not sure what happened but there was some kind of error where it was no longer seeing the software loaded on the module.  Thinking that it would be a quick fix to simply uninstall and reinstall the appropriate software, I browsed to the software wizard in MAX and removed them. 

When I restarted the moduleand its status was Safe Mode (Installation Error).  Right clicking on the software dropdown menu in the resource tree allows me to access the install Wizard. Trying some other internet solution, I also installed the BIOS update to 10.4 for my device (as per http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/6D0F9F74FD2DAD0186256EE5007198D4)

So at the moment my MAX is version 4.6.2f, Fieldpoint 6.0.6 and bios 104.

When I go to reinstall any Fieldpoint Drivers, VI manager, Labview realtime, etc, none of the software install options are available from the wizard.  Absolutely nothing comes up as shown in this image:  http://yfrog.com/71mysetuplj

I have checked via ping that the IP address I've entered works fine - I've tried everything to restart the module in user-directed safe mode, and still can't seem to reformat the compact flash memory on the module.  All I want to do is get back to square one!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(7,070 Views)

AJ,

I don't have a FP-2015 hooked up, but when you are in MAX under Remote Systems and you right-click on the FP-2015 do you have a "Format Disk" option. I know that newer cFP Real-Time controllers have this option but I don't know about the FP-2015. If you do have the option, then try reformatting the disk (follow the prompts) and then reinstall the software/drivers and see if that works. If we can ping the IP and can change options in MAX like IP Address or name then we have a good connection and this could be pointing to an issue with the disk itself which formatting would help with (unless the whole disk went bad for whatever reason). Also check the Status LED on the front of the FP-2015 and see how many times and if it is blinking. The manual for the 2015 (http://digital.ni.com/manuals.nsf/websearch/B31455BC0C2746DA86256CEE0078354D) has what each blinking pattern means. The manual also has some generic troubleshooting help as well. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(7,049 Views)

AJ Pitt,

What version of the Real-Time module do you have installed?  cFP-20xx is not supported by some of the newer versions.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(7,037 Views)

AJ Pitt,

From your version of MAX, I assume you are running LabVIEW 2009 (or you just upgraded some driver that upgraded MAX for you). You should be fine though because the issue that Wayne brought up only affects Fieldpoint 20x0 controllers using version 8.6 or above. Since you have a 2015, you should still have support. How is troubleshooting coming?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(7,033 Views)

G-Money,

This from the 'National Instruments FieldPoint™ 6.0.6 Readme'  http://ftp.ni.com/support/softlib/fieldpoint/6.0.6/fieldpointreadme.html 

Upgrading FieldPoint RT Controllers to LabVIEW Real-Time Module 8.2.1, 8.5.1, 8.6.1, and 2009

The cFP-22xx controllers require LabVIEW Real-Time Module 8.5.1 or later. The cFP-21xx controllers require LabVIEW Real-Time Module 8.0 or later. National Instruments recommends LabVIEW Real-Time Module 7.1.1 for use on the [c]FP-20xx controllers. The [c]FP-20xx controllers do not support LabVIEW Real-Time Module 8.6 or later. Some features of LabVIEW Real-Time Module 8.x require more than 16 MB RAM, and the [c]FP-2000 and some other [c]FP-20xx controllers have only 16 MB RAM. Use the Remote Systems Install Software Wizard in MAX to install LabVIEW and FieldPoint software on FieldPoint controllers. For more information about memory and storage requirements of different LabVIEW versions, go to ni.com/info and enter the Info Code rdlrmf.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(7,030 Views)

Wayne,

This is from the LabVIEW Real-Time 8.6 and 2009 Release Notes (http://digital.ni.com/manuals.nsf/websearch/B7BF785917D51255862574330079CDA5)

FieldPoint 20x0 Support Discontinued

The Real-Time Module no longer supports FP-20x0 and cFP-20x0 targets.

You can still use FP-20x0 and cFP-20x0 targets with LabVIEW, but you

cannot install the Real-Time Module 8.6 on FP-20x0 and cFP-20x0 targets. 

This is what I pulled from for the information. I will double check with the Fieldpoint driver release notes. I'm not trying to argue in the least bit. These two documents appear to conflict so I am going to follow up on them and get back to the community with it. Thanks! 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(7,027 Views)

G-Money,

From personal experience, a cFP-2020 can not be targeted using 8.6 or newer.  See this as well.  http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=110&message.id=7765&query.id=764038#M7765

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(7,022 Views)

Wayne,

That is true. I have a 2010 and a 2020 cFP that I can't use with 8.6 or higher. I'm asking around if the issue is with the 20x0 or the 20xx series. I will post back when I have more information. 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(7,016 Views)

Guys,

It should be read as [c]FP-20xx is not supported in LabVIEW Real-Time 8.6 or higher. If you are using RT 2009 Aj, try downgrading to a supported Real-Time version and see if you can use your 2015 then. Thanks for the heads up Wayne and I am going to be filing a correction request for the RT document so there isn't any confusion in the future. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(7,013 Views)

Folks, thank you for all the support so far.

It appears that my problem is not so much one with the Fieldpoint Module itself - but rather that in my quest to remove the software from the FP remotely I also deleted some of the labview Realm time and field point drivers Locally - this makes sense then, that when I enter the software wizard why there are no options to place anything back on the field point.

I am working now with the labview driver cd's to reinstall what is missing and will try from here - thank you again for all the prompt support!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(7,008 Views)