From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New computer cannot see cFP-2000 via ethernet

I set up a cFP-2000 block to connect via ethernet on my computer fine (directly connected, not through a network).  Now I want to connect it to a different computer and I can not get MAX to see the device.  I have a crossover cable from my new computer to the cFP-2000.  When I open max, it will not see that there is a device connected in the remote systems section.  What do I need to do to get the new computer to see the cFP unit I have hooked up?  I am running Windows 2000, Labview 7.1, and Fieldpoint 4.1.

Steve
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,454 Views)
Does the new computer have a static IP address assigned with the same netmask as the cFP module?  Also, some network ports have trouble negotiating speed and duplex; you could try forcing the PC network port to 10Mbps.  Do you have a solid green led and blinking orange on the cFP network connector?  Can you ping the cFP or see the embedded web page (http://x.x.x.x)?  After all of the above I would try using a small hub.

Matt
Message 2 of 5
(3,447 Views)
Ok, still no luck.  Here is what I have tried:
Assigned the exact same IP address to the new computer as the first computer.
Also tried just obtaining automatically.
Assigned the same subnet mask (255.255.0.0) to the new computer as the old computer (and same as Fieldpoint).
Tried playing with the network port changing the duplex settings.
Tried using a hub to connect.  The hub worked if I tried to connect to the first computer that I set up the fieldpoint on, then it wouldn't work with the new computer.
When I connect the ethernet cable from the new computer to the cFP-2000, I don't get any lights. 

I am pretty lost as to what is going on here.  I have no problem connecting to the cFP-2000 when I have it hooked up to the computer I first configured it on.  Then when I connect it exactly the same way to a new computer, I can't see it in my remote systems and there are no green or yellow lights on the FP ethernet connector.

Steve
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,428 Views)
Steve,

If you are not getting the link  LED when you connect the second computer to the FieldPoint unit but you get it when you connect the FieldPoint unit to the first computer or hub, then it indicates that either A) the ethernet port on the second computer is non-functional or B) the ethernet cable being used with the second computer is non-functional (either broken or the wrong type). If you hook a computer directly to a FieldPoint controller, you should be using a crossover cable. If you are hooking the computer and the FieldPoint unit to a hub, then both cables should be straight cables.

Regards,
Aaron
Message 4 of 5
(3,411 Views)
Got it fixed finally, but wow, what a headache.  It turns out that I did not have a crossover cable.  The first computer, however, somehow was able to switch the straight through cable to act as a crossove cable (some crazy network card I guess).  Since it worked on the first computer, I just assumed that I had a crossover cable since I didn't think there was any way that I could connect with a straight through cable.  I finally tested the cable and found out what was wrong, got a crossover cable, and it all works fine now.  Thanks to everyone who replied.

Steve
Message 5 of 5
(3,409 Views)