From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-MAX not recording Channel Setting Correctly

Solved!
Go to solution
I am developing a system using Field Point Modules. I am using LabVIEW 7, and NI-MAX 3.0 to create commands and attributes for the FP-PG-522 module.

To create a channel attribute using NI-MAX 3.0, I select the FP-PG-522 module in the Remote Systems section, select the channel required, select the channel attribute, and then select create item.

A new item now appears in the Data Neighbourhood. When I select this item, there is a description under the "Channels used on this item" section, which describes the attribute. For instance, I selected the On time attribute. For this item, it says 'This item represents the "On Time" attribute of the selected channel(s). This attribute can be set to any integer value between
1 and 65535.'

I then hit the SAVE button, which saves the IAK file locally, as well as saving it on the FP2000 module.

If I close down NI-MAX 3, and restart, when I select the same item again in Data Neighbourhood, the attribute has changed. There doesn't seem to be any pattern, but I have got such combinations as the "Control" attribue, instead of the "Generate Pulses" attribute, etc.

I then have to delete all of these channels, and start again, however, the data is once again, not saved correctly.

Has anybody else experienced this, and know a way around it?
Christopher Farmer

Certified LabVIEW Architect and LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
https://wiredinsoftware.com.au

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,283 Views)
Chris,

I've not seen such behavior to this point, but I'll have to test it now. Have you seen this only under the PG module, or under others as well?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,283 Views)
Chris,

I've not seen such behavior to this point, but I'll have to test it now. Have you seen this only under the PG module, or under others as well?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,283 Views)
Hi there,

As far as I have seen, the problem has only been with the FP-PG-522.

I also have in my FP network, a FP-QUAD-510, and two FP-TB-10, with various AO, AI, DI, DO dual channel modules. Most of these other modules don't have any attributes/commands to set up, hence there are no problems there.

Thanks.
Christopher Farmer

DQMH Trusted Advisor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,283 Views)
Hi.

On further investigation, it appears that the Name field is corrupting the data.

For instance, if I create an "On Time" attribute for Ch 0, NI-MAX automatically inserts this new attribute into the Data Neighbourhood, and calls it "On Time @Ch0".

If I save the IAK file at this point, the data is kept intact, and correct, ie. After shutting down NI-MAX and the FP network and restarting them, the configuration is correct.

However, if I go and change the names of the new attributes/commands, this is where the problem occurs, ie. After shutting down NI-MAX and the FP network and restarting them, the configuration has now been corrupted, and some attributes/commands have changed.

As another note, I have some attributes/commands se
t up for the FP-QUAD-510, however this data is OK. This could be due to the fact that there is only one available attribute and one command for the FP-QUAD-510.
Christopher Farmer

DQMH Trusted Advisor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,283 Views)
OK,

I've been able to replicate the behavior on a system here. As you noticed, as long as you leave the assigned name at the value suggested by MAX, you can work around this problem now.

I'll make sure the developers address this problem for future driver releases, but for now use the workaround above.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,283 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ozfarmboy
Chris,

This issue has been identified and the fix will be included in the next release of FieldPoint software.

Just wanted to let everybody know.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,283 Views)