From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max can't find the modules when setting up a fieldpoint bank

I am attempting to set up a new fieldpoint system.  After setting the IP address on the FP-1601 interface, the "Find Devices" function returns the following error:

Unable to connect to the data item on the module.  Possible causes: (1) A connection is broken, or (2) the network module is not powered on.
The field point system consists of the FP-1601 and a FP-DI-301.  The power LED's are illuminated on both modules as is the ready LED on the FP-DI-301.   The software is MAX version 4.3.0f0, and Fieldpoint 6.0.3005.

I have tried changing to a different FP-1601, and different FP-DI-301.  All modules are new, out of the box.

What I am I missing?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(7,031 Views)
Hi Dan H,

What is your networking setup?  Are you using a crossover cable directly to the computer?  Connecting through a router? Have you verified that you have the FP-1601 and the host on the same subnet?  See How to Network FieldPoint to a Host Computer with Ethernet.

You may also want to verify that you are able to ping the FP-1601's IP address by going into a command prompt (Start Programs>>Run, then enter cmd).  At the command prompt type ping <IP address>.  If a timeout occurs, you will know that the IP address isn't set up correctly.

Let us know how this goes,
David_B
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(7,005 Views)
Hi David_B,

The network setup connects the FP-1601 through a router.  The subnets are set to 255.255.0.0, and the unit responds to a ping request.

Thanks for your help.

Dan
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(6,998 Views)

I can access the FP-1601 from two different computers on my network.  One computer is running Windows 2000, and does not have a firewall.  The other computer runs Windows XP.  I have turned off the firewall on the XP computer.  However, neither system will find the devices attached to the FP-1601.

Dan

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(6,986 Views)

As a test, I disconnected the FP-1601 from the network, and connected it directly to a computer with a ethernet crossover cable.  Everything works now, so the problem is with the network communications.

Dan

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(6,983 Views)

It looks like you have also submitted this question to our Applications Engineering department via email.  I will pass on this information to the engineer working on this with you and we will post the solution once you complete troublshooting and resolve the issue.

Thanks,

David_B
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(6,971 Views)