From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect cfp-2120 to laptop?

Solved!
Go to solution
I have the CFP-2120 communicating and working with my IBM thinkpad with no problems. I brought in a Sony Vaio as a replacement and can't seem to get the CFP to communicate with it.

I've gone through the usual suspects:

1) cross over cable: check
2) firewall off: check
3) IP address set: check

The LED lights for the ethernet port on the CFP never light up for the Vaio when it is connected. I know the ethernet port on the Vaio works because I can hook it into our intranet. I can also hook my Vaio to my Think Pad and ping back and forth seeing one computer from the other. However, I can't ping from the Vaio to the CFP- it just doesn't see it. Max doesn't see it either (from the Vaio).

What am I missing?

Thanks all!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(7,316 Views)
Hi!
   Maybe, you didn't check the Antivirus! Check antivirus' firewall to be off.  Once i had some problem with Symantec, and it seems to me that Vaio ships with Symantec preinstalled.

Hope it helps!

graziano
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(7,292 Views)
Hi Kerouwhack,

If you connect the cFP back up to the previous computer does it still operate fine? It sounds like an issue with the new laptop setup. Can you list details about what ip and subnets you have on both the laptop and the cFP. You will want to check the actual status of the connection instead of the ip property you set, because sometimes those properies don't take immediately. Use ipconfig from the command line (cmd) or the status tab of the LAN properties.

You said you checked the ip address, did you verify that the subnet masks were the same?

You could always try resetting the IP setting on the cFP using the ip reset switch. However, if we configure your laptop the same as the previous computer we should be able to communicate with the cFP.

Have you attempted to ping the cFP ip address?
Sappster
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(7,285 Views)

Mark and Graziano,

Thank you for your resposnes. I'm checking into it now because it is somewhat perplexing, but the solution was simple. I have the cFP mounted in an enclosure. To wire the ethernet cord through the wall of the enclosure I have wired an ethernet plug to a wall socket. This allows me to connect the laptop via a cable that runs to the wall socket on the outside of the box. On the inside of the box the wall socket is wired to a ethernet plug that plugs into the port on the cFP.

One laptop accepts this situation with no problems, but the vaio connection is dead until I bypass the wall mounted plug altogether and directly wire the laptop to the cFP. Why it works for one and not the other, I don't know.

However, it is up and running so thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(7,278 Views)
Hi!
   I'm just guesing, and not sure I've understood... maybe it's something related to autosense? I mean, Ethernet NIC that automatically recognize if cable is straight or crossed, even if usually this is an issue of switches.

graziano

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(7,260 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kerouwhack
Hi,

Did you check if both wires are cross over? If so, it's like a double negative and one nullifies the other.
Sappster
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(7,233 Views)

PROBLEM RESOLVED

Thanks to all who answered. The issue was related to the wiring. All is good now.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(7,231 Views)