From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I Boot cFP-2200 into safemode remotely?

Solved!
Go to solution

Is there a way to boot these into safe mode remotely or do I always have to use the switch? Maybe a trick I can pull like deleting some file it needs to start properly?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(7,138 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author kgolden

Hey Kgolden,

As far as I can tell, there is no way to do that except by formatting the device and checking the option to force safe mode:

123.png

I tried changing a few files around with no effect, and I was reluctant to try what you suggesting--just deleting files--for fear of putting the fieldpoint out of action. Why do you want to put the cFP into safe mode? Maybe was can find some way to do that, rather than getting it into safe mode. 

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(7,129 Views)

At this time, I want to put them into safemode remotely when I want to format them from MAX or reset the network settings, ect. The background on this is I am using a fieldpoint which is not in my office and have to walk down several flights of stairs any time I need to perform a task requiring a manual change to one of the switches. In the future, my company's installations could be across the globe but we will have remote connectivity so the ability to activate anything we could activate in person from a remote location is very much desired. This is why some way to trigger the same tasks any of the switches trigger is something we're definetely interested in. 

Right now, I am creating disc images of the fieldpoint for a replication process. As the version changes, I want the image I create for replication to be from scratch so I first format the drive, then install the NI software, then our application. Then, I replicate the drive for duplication.

Since creating this thread, I have found a solution which gives me what I need for the replication process. While MAX won't allow formatting without being in safemode, I am able to programmatically format the cFP's drive using a labview application I developed. Doing so gives me the clean slate I'm looking for and also causes the cFP to reboot into safemode without activating the switch.  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(7,124 Views)

Hey Kgolden,

Would you consider posting that section of your code at ni.com/community, or sharing an explanation here of how you did it? That way future users will know the answer to your question.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(7,116 Views)

This is the method I use to formatt without being in safe mode. Once this is done, the cFP-2200 controller I execute this on will always boot into safemode.

RT Disk Formatter.png

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(7,111 Views)

Ah, I hadn't realized that that VI would automatically force safe mode. Thanks for pointing that out.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(7,104 Views)

The VI does not really "force" safemode. It just formats the drive in a case where MAX would claim safemode is required.

The safemode is just a consequence of the drive being in a formatted state when the RT Target restarts. This is also ideal because I can test and retest my install processes - since I can get the fieldpoint easily back into an unconfigured state.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(7,102 Views)