From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello. I have a +/- 100 mV signal that I would like to read using the FP-AI-V100m module (0-100mV range). Can I use this module for this purpose? I'd use the FP-AI-V5B module that has the +/- 5VDC range, but I need the sub-millivolt range.

The FP-AI-V100m can be used with a +/- 100 mV signal without causing damage to the FP-AI-V100m, but the signal will only give you a valid reading when it is in the 0 to + 100mV range. Whenever the signal is negative, you will receive a reading of 0 and an error message stating "Out of Range". The easiest solution is to go with the FP-AI-V5B, or to use the FP-AI-100 or FP-AI-110 I/O modules (they have bipolar voltage ranges of +/- 1.2 V and +/- 0.065 V respectively).

Alternatively, it is possible to use a summing amplifier to deliberately introduce a known, positive offset (I.E. 100 mV) and use the FP-AI-V1 since the range would then always be positive. However, this will require additional external hardware, and would introduce additional sources for error/noise.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,422 Views)