FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fieldpoint support for Linux

I'm trying to figure out how to read data from a fieldpoint to LabView 7.1 running under Linux. I have labview up and running, and I have the fieldpoint up and running, and I just need a way to make them talk. I have access to a (quite slow) Windows machine, so I know the fieldpoint is up and running. I have not, however, been able to find Linux drivers for the fieldpoint. Since I want to access the fieldpoint via ethernet, IO should be simple IP sockets, so no special driver should be required. Am I right in this assumption? Is there a simple way to interface these two devices?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,904 Views)
The FieldPoint Ethernet modules (as well as LabVIEW - DSC and Lookout) utilize a propietary National Instruments Ethernet protocol. The protocol is not published and is currently restricted to Windows based platforms. There are several interfaces that allow one to communicate using the proprietary protocol; including NI FieldPoint (which has interfaces for LabVIEW, OPC, LabWindows/CVI), Lookout, LabVIEW - DSC, DataSocket, and (I think) a ComponentWorks module). Even though several of these interfaces are multiplatform, the ethernet support will only work on Windows based platforms.

Whereas the FieldPoint ethernet protocol is proprietary and closed, the protocol for the serial modules is open and published in the FP-1000/1001 Programmers Reference Manual. You can build your own multi-platform solution that way. Alternatively, you can use the FP-20XX series of RT Controllers and embed a LabVIEW RT program that publishes the channel data in your own format that you can write a non-platform specific interface to.

Regards,
Aaron
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,900 Views)