From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fieldpoint device configuration information

I am trying to programmatically read the channel configuration information from an FP-TB-10 device.  The application that I am writing doesn't necessarily know what type of module is plugged into any particular FP-TB-10 slot.  I need to determine what kind of module is in a slot so that I can apply the necessary scales and offsets to bring the reading into appropriate engineering units.  I have tried using the FP Get Configuration Info vi but all that returns is channel strings and no useful information about the module at each channel.  Does anyone know how to extract the information the contains the type of module in a particular slot of an FP-TB-10 device?  Any work around would be appreciated too.

Thanks,
Eric
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,428 Views)
Hi Gravy,
   what's your topologu like? I mean, do you have a FP-100x connected to a PC?  In this case, there's a useful example, "Find FP-100x Devices ...", you find it in examples provided with LabVIEW (I use 7.1).  Here you have Optomux commands to get informations about which module is connected to the base, and there's a correspondence table, in Optomux manual.

If you need more help, please tell me!  Anyway, don't forget to provide further details on:
    - Your Field point system topology;
    - Your programming environment (LabVIEW, version?, CVI...)

Hope it helps!

graziano
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,422 Views)
I am using an FP-1601 network module connected to a PC to connect to a bank of DI-301, DO-403, and TB-10.  I see the value of the example Find FP-100x Devices, but my understanding of the Optomux VI's is that they are more of serial comms and not ethernet.  So I am still a bit stuck.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,420 Views)
... and I am using LabView 8.0 to program the app.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,419 Views)
Hi!
   In this case I really don't know how to it, and I'm not practical with FP-1601...  sorry! I hope some NI people  can help you!

graziano
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,407 Views)
Hi Gravy,

I'm looking into it now. The previous posts were correct: It is possible using optomux, but that is assuming a direct connection through a serial port. When using ethernet, the HW has to be configured in software first, creating an .iak file.

I am still looking into it, but for now it seems that it is not possible.

Best regards,

Nathan Yang
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,388 Views)
Hi Nathan,

what about reading programmatically some way .iak file? In cFP-2020, I embedded an application in which I read the .ini files, resident in cFP-2020 module, and which are generated from .iak file, so.... can it be this way also from a PC environment?

Have a nice week-end, here in Italy it's almost time to go..... Smiley Wink

graziano
Message 7 of 9
(4,382 Views)
Hi Gravy,

I just confirmed my initial statement: you cannot do it through a network. You will not be able to detect the modules on an FP-TB-10.

Best regards,

Nathan Yang
Applications Engineer
National Instruments

Message 8 of 9
(4,376 Views)
Hi Graziano,

You cannot programmatically read and modify the .iak file. You are correct about the .ini file on the cFP controllers.

Sorry Smiley Sad

Nathan Yang
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,376 Views)