FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FieldPoint - executable loading time

Hello everyone,
I have an application for my FP controller which is approximately 15MB in size, has approximately 100vi's, uses several type def controls and also globals.
I have built an executable which runs fine, however, the problem that I have is the time for that the executable takes to run when I reboot the controller. It takes just as long for me to target my FP controller and download the code as it does for the exe to initialise after a reboot (approx 5 minutes). Is this normal? I would expect an exe to launch faster than targeting and downloading code.

any ideas or explanations would be greatly appreciated.
David
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,012 Views)
David,

Generally speaking it should take less time to load from flash than to download via TCP. Depending upon which version of software you have for the [c]FP RT controller, the normal boot time for the OS and Run-Time engine is usually around 30-45 seconds. At that point, the LabVIEW Run-Time engine will start loading your program. The entire program will be transferred from flash memory to RAM and then run. The size of the program will effect the amount of time that it takes. Additionally, when you download a program, it is starting in RAM and the LabVIEW Run-Time engine is already running so you don't see the boot time. Depending upon if you were already doing some debugging, a number of your VIs may already be in memory and may not be downloaded each time leading to a false sense of how long the program takes to run.

The way in which the code was written will also have an effect. For example, one system that I have worked on takes ~5-10 minutes to fully initialize. To provide user feedback to let the user know that the system is working properly, the initialization routine starts by turning on LED A, as the initialization progresses, LEDs B, C and D will be turned on (either green (no failure) or red (failure in initialization)).

Regards,
Aaron
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,007 Views)
David,

As an additional piece of information for my previous post. The system that I have that takes 5-10 minutes to initialize contains ~300 VIs, including type-definitions and globals. However, the executable is only about 4 to 5 Megs in size. I have not timed how long it takes from power-up to the first LED lighting as part of the program, only from power-up to full operation.

Regards,
Aaron
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,001 Views)
Thanks Aaron, you have been of great help on these FieldPoint boards.
FYI - From power up (or reboot) it takes 2min 30sec to load the exe from flash and 1min30sec to initialise and start the program (observed by setting LED states).
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,990 Views)