From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FieldPoint Watchdog Timer Setup

1). I have an FP-1000 along with an FP-DO-401 that I am using.  Under the Channel Configuration of the FP-DO-401 found with the FieldPoint Explorer, for the purpose of setting the watchdog timer,  there is a request for the Watchdog Value (Boolean Value).  Is this noted in milliseconds?  Or is this Boolean Value representative of another unit of metric?

2). Under the Device Configuration of the FP-DO-401 found with the FieldPoint Explorer, for the purpose of setting the watchdog timer,  one has the choice of "Enable" or Enable on Use"  of the watchdog timer.  What are the differences betweeen the two?

3). Under the Device Configuration of the FP-DO-401 found with the FieldPoint Explorer, for the purpose of setting the Attributes, there is a "Retry Count" which gives you the choices of "0" to "3".  WHat is the purpose of this?

I looked at various manuals and guides and nowhere did I find the definitions of these settings and their options.  Am I looking in the wrong places?  Is this defined in some form of NI document/manual/user guide?

George L
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,038 Views)
Hi George,

I hope you're doing well.  To answers your questions in order:

1.  The Watchdog Value (Boolean Value) is the actual boolean value that the DO module will output if the watchdog condition (network timeout) is met.  What it sounds like you are trying to set is the period of time at which the bank should wait before going into this timeout condition.  You can find this setting under the Device Configuration of your controller (FP-1000).  There is a section called Network Watchdog Configuration, and there is a space to enter the Timeout in milliseconds.

2.  The difference between the "enable" and "enable on use" settings is discussed in this KnowledgeBase.

3.  The retry count field is defined in this KnowledgeBase as well.

Typically, these things will be defined in the FieldPoint Help (in your National Instruments folder from the Start menu), but I usually find the context help in MAX and searching KnowledgeBases the quickest way to get my questions answered.  I hope this helps, George!

Thaison V
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,025 Views)