From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FP-1000and FP-AI-110 power supply

Hello there,

I just set up my first FieldPoint unit and have a question concerning  the recommended Power Supply:

When I read the FP-1000 QuickStartGuide , page 16, I thougt , there is no other way supplying  the  FP-AI-110 module but
by another external power supply .
But It seems , that the FP-AI-110 module is supplied by the internal bus, wihtout cascading power by the terminal. (See attached picture, where only the network module is connected to
an external Power supply )
So which way is recommended by NI ? Input Voltages at the analog module are limitede to max 5V.

Greetings

Beethoven

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,769 Views)
Hi!
   I have in my lab FP-DI-301 and FP-DO-401.  All works, even if I don't cascade V-C terminals, except the output module don't drive their outputs! I mean, V-C are used from output module to actually feed the output current/voltage.  The power/Ready leds lights also with V-C not cascaded because the "logic" part of the modules derive power from backplane.  Also the I/O interfacing circuits work, in fact I can see inputs even without V-C connected.  This holds when the whole system has the same power supply.

Taking a look at FP-AI-110 manual, "Voltage and current inputs are referenced to the COM terminals, which are internally connected to each other and to the C  terminals. All eight VSUP terminals are internally connected to each other and to the V terminals." and "The [c]FP-AI-110 has eight single-ended input channels. All eight channels share a common ground reference that is isolated from other modules in the FieldPoint system.".  So, I guess, you may refer your inputs to another system, with separated commons.  That's why you are told to connect V-C.

graziano
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(5,768 Views)