FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FP-1000 Error

Mornign all, just a quick question

With the FP-1000, is there any indication from the error LED to show if there is a communication problem within the module as my serial comms has just stopped responding once again and im trying to pinpoint wether its the FP or the PC itself

Normally when it fails, the network and access light still flash like there is still data being transmit and the DAQ still counts messgaes but this time, there are no LED's lit?

Any tips or tricks would be mostly appreciated

Regards

Mitch

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,413 Views)
Hi Mitch85,

I don’t know if you have this document but it may help you debug this issue. Here is a link to the FieldPoint 1000 Manual. When the device fails, does the error LED show anything? There is a table in the manual detailing all of the different error codes possible with this FieldPoint. This can be found on page 34.

It sounds as though normally the FieldPoint is communicating correctly, but that there is some issue somewhere on the serial communications, particularly if the DAQ is showing messages still arriving. I would try and verify that no other software is attempting to access that particular serial port. Is there any kind of frequency with the errors that occur?

Hope this helps,
Andrew McLennan
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,391 Views)

Cheers for the reply

I have seen the error table in the manual but it does not detail anything about comms errors and in any case, the LED is not lit up which as you say would make it seem like the FP is OK.

The interval of failure is intermittent. It can be 1 hour into test, 12, 27, the last time we tried running it got to 127 hours before dying 

I’m checking the PC motherboard and ports for peace of mind and I might change the serial port onto COMM2 to see if its just COMM1 but the only problem is that because the failure times are so intermittent, its hard to know if the problem is cured or not, although that would be the same if I changed the PC or FP in any case

Regards

Mitch
Message Edited by Mitch85 on 10-23-2008 04:43 AM
Message Edited by Mitch85 on 10-23-2008 04:44 AM
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,387 Views)

Hi Mitch,

I have a few more suggestions for you. I think it would be worth trying the serial communications on another PC and seeing if you still get the failure. I would certainly try changing the serial port to rule this out as well. Are you doing any file writing during serial comms? Are there any other shared resources that you are using on the PC that could be causing hangs in the VI or other delays? 

Thanks,

Andrew McLennan
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(6,380 Views)

That was an idea I was toying with, trying another PC or laptop.

We do nothing with LabView when its running, purely capture data and we have nothing else using resources or interrogating NI/LabView

I will try the other PC port first then try a laptop, its just a case of how long do you let it soak test before saying the cause of the fault has been deduced when it may just need more time?

The PC needs upgrading anyway so it wouldnt be a big loss. A new FP-1000 is around £520 all in

Cheers for the help

Mitch

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(6,377 Views)