FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error formatting the disk on the remote system

We had a power outage, after which a cFP-2120 stopped transmitting data.  I tried to connect to the device via MAX with no success.  I put the controller in safe mode, reset the ip address and tried to reconfigure the ip address setting.  Everytime I rebooted the controller it would lose the changes and revert to 0.0.0.0 for the ip. 

So I thought I would reformat the disk and start over.  When I choose the reformat option in MAX I get the following error: "Error formatting the disk on the remote system.  The disk may be unrecoverable."

Has anyone successfully overcome this?    I am thinking I may have a $2500 paperweight caused by a power surge that fried the internals of the controller.

I told the user to put the device on a UPS to try and prevent this from happening in the future.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(8,369 Views)

Hi Scott,

You said that every time you reboot the controller it reverts back to the 0.0.0.0 IP address.  Could you please double check that you moved the IP reset switch back to the off.  Hopefully this is all that's going on.

If you still get the "Error formatting the disk on the remote system.  The disk may be unrecoverable.", you will need to call in for the repair options.

Justin Parker
National Instruments
Product Support Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(8,359 Views)

Yes.  I made sure that switch 8 was placed back in the off position.

My process was:

Flip switch 7 and 8 to the on position.

Reboot the controller.

Connect to remote device 0.0.0.0 in MAX

Flip switch 8 to the off position.

Set the IP address info and the device name.

Click the apply button.

Say Yes to reboot.

Upon reboot the device was reset to 0.0.0.0 and the device name was empty again.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(8,356 Views)

Hello Scott.

Did the issue got resolved? Since I am facing the same issue now on NI PXI-8196 controller.

Please let me know your feedback.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,408 Views)

Hey balas21,

I would reiterate what Justin_P said. If you followed the steps, and correctly ensured that you moved the IP reset switch back to the off position, and still get the message, "Error formatting the disk on the remote system.  The disk may be unrecoverable." you should give us a call for exploring repair options. 1-866-275-6964.

Also, as an FYI, you'll get more traffic to your forum post if you make a new post as opposed to replying to an old post.

Thanks!

Timothy D.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,394 Views)