cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Developping a new VI to read a laser-sensor

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am not sure I put my message in the right category but here it goes.

I need to develop a VI to interface a laser-sensor measurement application into an existing VI in order to get an HMI display and program sub-functions.  My measurement application supports Ethernet communication using a fixed XML protocol (which we can change if required).

What I need is to be able to build a VI able to send commands to this application over Ethernet and retrieve data back (typically a vector of about 15 measurements up to more than 500 measurements).

I would need advice about how to do this...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(6,044 Views)

Actually, this should be in the LabVIEW forum and not Fieldpoint.

But take a look at the examples in Example finder for TCP/IP communication to start with.  That will show you how to open up a port and communicate using TCP/IP.  There isn't much more help we can give unless you have more specific questions on what problems you are having and any information on the protocol that the other applications uses.

Message Edited by Ravens Fan on 10-23-2008 02:43 PM
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(6,024 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author cdemers

Hello cdemers,

Thank you for contacting National Instruments!  After reading through your post I have a few questions for you.  First of all, are you planning to use one of our Fieldpoint controllers in order to achieve a solution?  This forum is meant for questions specific to our Fieldpoint hardware.  From what it sounds like you may get some benefit from posting in the LabVIEW Discussion Forum as you will then also get responses from other customers who may have implemented solutions similar to this.  If you are planning on using our Fieldpoint hardware for this application feel free to continue this thread and I will be happy to assist you.

However, here is some documentation that also may help get you started.  Here is some information regarding reading and writing to XML format in LabVIEW 8.6.  Here is some information communicating through TCP/IP or UDP in LabVIEW 8.6.  

If you do repost this in the LabVIEW Discussion Forum make sure you specify how you plan to communicate to your measurement application.  Whether it be using the XML protocol via TCP/IP or some other method.  The more details that you provide the better response you will have.

I hope this helps! 

Thanks!
Bob H
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(6,019 Views)