FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting to fieldpoint device (FP-1000) using Hyperterminal

I am trying to test communication with a FP-1000 device using Hyperterminal in Windows XP SP2.  The device is detected using Fieldpoint software indicating that hardware and cable is correct, however, I cannot get RS232 communication to work through Hyperterminal.

I set the correct COM port, baud rate (115200 default), 8,N,1, I have tried all flow controls (none, XON/XOFF and Hardware).  The address and baud rate are set correctly on the FP-1000. 

When I connect using Hyperterminal, I cannot type (unless I set to echo locally).  I get no response from any commands.

I am planning on writing my own VB software to directly interface with the device instead of using the communications server. 

This is sort of a head scratcher.  TIA
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,704 Views)
Hi Chris61,

maybe I don't understand..... you're trying to send an FP-1000 module Optomux commands?

In any case, I think it's always good to build an application to test communication, and using LabVIEW is a quick way for accomplish it.  If you can, i would be good to test your system with LabVIEW, and develop further applications using VB (for example, you may use LabVIEW to check connection and to handle communication, while for the entire project you use VB to embed further functions...).

Please, let me know more details!

Bye

graziano

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,694 Views)

One of the problems is that I don't have experience in LabView, so I wanted to write the RS232 communication into VB using just the serialport communication methods is system.io.ports. 

I have a RS232 motion controller that I can test RS232 communications with using Hyperterminal.  I can type commands and recieve status.  I thought I could do the same with the FP-1000.  For example, I thought I could just go into Hyperterminal, configure the connection and type '>00!A'.  I am not sure if that is the correct syntax for optomux, but yes, use optomux commands just to test syntax and response.  This works fine with one controller (not NI), but I can't get this to work with the FP-1000.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,692 Views)
Hi Chris61!

I think I understood the problem.  If you type manually, you have to face the communication timeout, I mean the maximum time spacing between two bytes, to be recognized as a single command.  If you type manually >00!A, the time delay between typing '>' and the first '0' is too big, and FP-1000 is not able to receive the command (I suppose); that's whi I suggested you to develop an application in which programmatically you write on the serial port your string, because it will be faster than you to type characters!

Anyway, >00!A is an Extended Optomux command, and my FP-1001 (similar to 1000), is able to correctly receive these commands... when I send them using LabVIEW.  Basically, LabVIEW sends Optomux commands writing a string on the serial port, but it's faster than typing chars manually!

More, In your Optomux command you miss the checksum, i mean, you should send >00!A??, where ?? stands for the checksum (that I didn'c calculate here.... for short!).

Refer to  http://digital.ni.com/manuals.nsf/websearch/DA924F0F8B7BF4F48625665E00635952   for Optomux commands.

Let me know if it helps, and have a nice day!

graziano

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,688 Views)
Hi All-

I am testing with an FP-1000 and a single I/O module and seeing great results with Optomux commands in Hyperterminal.

My testing setup consists of an FP-1000 and an FP-TC-120. Any I/O module should work properly with the same procedure. I connect to the 232 port of my PC via a straight-through RS-232 cable and configure the FP-1000 for 115200 baud by positioning all three "baud" switches in the UP position.

When you type on the screen you will not see the commands you are sending to the module; only its responses will be seen. The first step to initialize the module at address 1 is to type ">01A??" and press Enter. This will run a Power Up Clear for the module and will allow it to respond properly to Optomux commands.

The next logical step is to query the controller for all connected devices. As mentioned in the article you have seen, that command is ">00!B??" and press Enter. At this point a string will be returned with all the module identification numbers. The numbers returned should be consistent with the listing that begins on page 5-2 of the FP-1000 programmer's manual ( http://digital.ni.com/manuals.nsf/websearch/ee241c7357d3f8ce862567840072f554?OpenDocument ).

A few things to check- make sure you're using a straight-through cable and not a null modem or crossover cable. Also make sure that you are typing the leading ">" character and that you are typing relatively quickly; I'm not completely unconvinced that your Hyperterminal communications are just timing out in the middle of your commands.

Hopefully this helps-

Tom W
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,674 Views)
Hi Chris,

If you haven't already, you may want to download this VB example as a startihng point:

Regards,

-Khalid
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,661 Views)

Does this example still exist? 

Seems like the link is broken in 2021. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,325 Views)