FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use the database toolset within a fieldpoint vi?

I want to be able to read and write to a database on our network using the database toolset. My vi works under windows but does not under fieldpoint. (does not run at all). I've included (loaded) the template while building the executable. As well I've include the udl support file to access the database
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,872 Views)
Andrews,

The LabVIEW Database Connectivity Toolset (I am assuming that is the toolkit you are referring to) is based off of ActiveX, which is not supported under LabVIEW RT. However, I have heard (not verified) that the older version of this toolset called the SQL toolkit did not use ActiveX and was successfully used by some Alliance members in LabVIEW RT. Obviously this isn't supported by National Instruments, but it may help you if you are determined to get your application up and running.

Ames
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,874 Views)

We have a similar situation, from a Field Pointer that regulates the process we now log data to a plain file. We need to change that so logdata goes to some kind of SQL-server like Access, mySQL, etc. Does anybody know how to do this simply from a Field Pointer? I understand that the Field Pointer cannot use the normal "LabVIEW Database Connectivity Toolset "

We have quite a few applications running that connect to Access via the SQL-commands in labview, so we only need help on how to make the same thing with a Field Pointer?

Ola A.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,580 Views)
Ola A,

There is currently no way to go directly from a Real Time FieldPoint to a SQL server.

A solution may be for you to continue to log data to a plain text file and then write a VI to run on a regular PC to then insert this data into your database.  Thus the logging would become a multi-step process:  Real World Signal » FieldPoint » Text File » PC » SQL Database.

Regards,

Simon H
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/support/
Message 4 of 6
(3,565 Views)
Thanks Simon!

To read the log file with a separate labview program on the PC could be an alternative, but arise questions about when to read the log file(s). Send a signal from the Field Point when a run is ready? Have a lock file during process run, when this file disappears it is safe to read the log file?

Ola
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,554 Views)
Ola,

If I was designing this system I would use a shared variable which contains the name of the last data file written by the FieldPoint.  The PC would monitor that name and when it changes, use the FTP VIs to download it to the PC.  The PC VI would then parse the text file and insert into the SQL database.

Using a lock file or a Boolean Data Ready? flag would also be very valid approaches.

Depending on how fast you are acquiring data you might be able to do away with the intermediate text file.  Another possible approach would be to use the TCP VIs to effectively stream the data from the FieldPoint back to the PC where it can be inserted into the database.

Regards,

Simon H

Message 6 of 6
(3,544 Views)