From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COM1 Missing on cFP-2100

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi Tim,

I was finally able to get ahold of a cFP 2100 and test it out. I saw that same behavior you did.

You should be able to run I/O Trace and see the VISA call that searches for the available ports.  I'll do the same and see what I come up with, but I'm suspecting that you are correct and this is a bug.

Have a great day,

Chris V

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 25
(4,264 Views)

Thanks Chris,

While you are at it maybe you can see if you can find out why FP Close doesn't work (not included in the library) in later versions.

Kind regards,

Tim L.

iTm - Senior Systems Engineer
uses: LABVIEW 2012 SP1 x86 on Windows 7 x64. cFP, cRIO, PXI-RT
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 25
(4,257 Views)

Hi Tim L.,

I'm surprised that you did not see the FP Close function in LabVIEW.  I still have it in LabVIEW 2011:

FP_Close.png

Is there something else more specific that you meant by "doesn't work?"

Have a great day,

Chris V

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 25
(4,252 Views)

The vi is there but during deployment is says something like --Cant find funcuntion vI_........---

It appears that it hasn't been included in the fieldpoint library (the one installed via MAX)

Tim L.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 25
(4,250 Views)

Hello Tim,

This is Andrew Brown, an Applications Engineer from National Instruments. To further clarify your hardware and software setup:

1. What version of the FieldPoint driver are you working with?

2. Which devices does this problem occur with? (cFP 2100, 2200, 2220)

This type of a problem has been documented with CAR 202774. The problem is limited to certain versions of the FieldPoint driver with cFP-21xx and cFP-22xx series controllers. If you are not working with FieldPoint 6.0.9, I recommend upgrading to it as a solution. If this is not possible, versions 6.0.7 and 6.0.8 also resolve the issue.

Regards,

Andrew Brown

Software Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 25
(4,233 Views)

Andrew,

As per the first 3 lines of my first Post:

Problem #1 - Missing Com port occurs on cFP 2100 with 6.0.8 and more recently 6.0.9

Problem does not occur on cFP 2200 and cFP 2220 running 6.0.8 and 6.0.9 although it does require that the vi is run and then refresh is used from the combo box before available channels can be seen.

Problem #2 - FP Close failed on a cFP 2220 using 6.0.8.  I have not tested it on 6.0.9, I had given up on this one since I had no further correspondance from NI after I reported it.

The cFP is the low cost, extended temperature range, core of our systems and has been performing well doing it's current job.

Unfortunately it has been resisting my attempts to add features and functions to our past, present and future systems.

/Rant/

I understand that older devices (such as the cFP 2020 and cFP 2000 that I am using to stop by door from swinging shut) are no longer supported by NI, this is business.

I am disappointed that the cFP 2100 and some some functions (Loop parellelism, Object oriented, FP Close), are badly supported.  It has cost me days investigating them without resolution.

I understand that NI is obseleting cFP's in favor of cRIO (At twice the price for my application) I assume that the degraded functionality is a by-product of less care being taken on a legacy product.

Am I likely to encounter much of the cFP code in the cRIO environment that I am planning to migrate to?

/End Rant/

Kind Regards,

Tim L

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 25
(4,226 Views)

Hi Tim L.,

Did you ever get a chance to test this out on LabVIEW 8.6?

I tested this with a 2120 as well and it worked fine, so the problem is not with Pharlap ETS controllers, but specific to the cFP 2100.  You are probably correct that this is a bug.

In response to your other comments, National Instruments still provides support for Compact FieldPoint and legacy FieldPoint.  Legacy FieldPoint has been End-of-Lifed, but Compact FieldPoint has not been End-of-Lifed, so it will be supported for the foreseeable future.

Have a great day,

Chris V

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 25
(4,210 Views)

I didn't test it with 8.6 as we have obseted it.

I am surprised to hear it worked on a 2120 - I would have assumed that tis would have been based on the same operating system.

Kind regards,

Tim L

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 25
(4,206 Views)

Hi Tim L.,

I tested in 8.5.1 and FieldPoint 6.0.8 with no luck.

This was reported to R&D (#328346) for further investigation. Unfortunately, I did not find a viable workaround for this bug.

Thanks for the feedback!

Chris V

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 25
(4,202 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Timmar

Hi Tim L.,

Good news!  I have a possible workaround from R&D.

1. FTP to the controller and copy the /ni-rt/system/niserial.ini file to your computer

2. Delete the

NonPnpDevice2

NonPnpDevice3

NonPnpDevice4

sections from that file

3. Copy the niserial.ini file back to /ni-rt/system/ (replacing the old file)

3. Reboot the target

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day,

Chris V

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 20 of 25
(4,192 Views)