FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CFP 2200 to measure temperature

Hi,

I am new to the forum and NI instrument as well.

I have get a set of cFP2200 as well as cFP-CB-1. My goal is to monitor four different temperatures at the same time using J-type thermalcouples. However, my understanding is that the modules I have can only measure voltages which I have to convert them into temperature. I tried to search but did not find any similar topics. Could anyone provide more information on how to achieve this goal? 

Thank you very much. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,597 Views)

That is the controller and a terminal block.  You need one more thing which is the module to read the thermocouples such as NI cFP-TC-120.  Actually, for the connector block, you should be using a cFP-CB-3 which is designed for thermocouples.

But when you use all these modules, it will give you the readings in temperature units.  No need to do any conversions from voltage.

Message 2 of 4
(5,594 Views)

Thank you very much for your reply. 

My idea comes from that the measured voltage across thermocouples are proportional to the voltage difference between reference point and measurement tip. So if I measure the voltage, then I can find the temperature a the measurement tip. Since I am new to NI, I am not sure about whether this idea is right or wrong.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,584 Views)

Hi lc428, 

You are on the right track. J-type is the physical type of the thermocouple. Each type of thermocouple has a certain formula for converting it from voltage to temperature. It isn't linear but it is the same for each thermocouple type (J, K, etc). There is a nice guide here. As usual, wikipedia is a great starting point also. 

The manual for whatever module you get will also have a wiring guide, which will show you how to actually hook up your thermocouple to the module. After you hook it up you can use LabVIEW to monitor the temperature. 

Jesse Dennis
Engineer
INTP
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,573 Views)