FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Animated Pipework

I have several tags coming back from a Fieldpoint module.

I also have a system of 'Pipework Indicators' that I would like to be on or off depending on the signal from one of the tags. I have tried wiring this tag straight to the indicators but get a broken line.

Can anyone help me do this?

Or post what further information is needed to help discribe my problem.

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,141 Views)

If you hover your wiring tool over the broken wire, it should tell you why the wire is broken.  I am guessing the two datatypes are different. 

-Khalid

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,135 Views)
Moxy,

The FieldPoint IO Tag in LabVIEW (aka "Purple Wire") is a reference to the channel in the FieldPoint server, it is not the data from the channel itself. You need to wire the IO Tag to a FieldPoint Read.vi. The FieldPoint Read.vi can output data in several formats including boolean, numeric, and numeric array. It sounds like you will want to use the boolean option so you should wire a boolean constant to the type input.

Regards,
Aaron
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,126 Views)

Thanks for the response guys. I have wired the Field I/O to the Read.vi and set the type to Boolean I/O.

Now for my next problem. I have a pipework system that runs to a diverter, which switches rom position 1 to 2. When I have a signal coming from Fielpoint I/O "A" I want that pipework up to the diverter + the pipework on side 1 to be ON. When I get a signal from Fieldpoint I/O "B" I want the same pipework up to the diverter + the pipework on the 2 other side to be ON.

However, I cannot wire both Fieldpoint I/O A and B to the pipework up to the diverter, it just gives "This wire connects more than one data source". But I need it too.

Do I just create a second pipework set of the orginal so I can wire both Fieldpoint I/O?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,122 Views)
Hi Moxy

Thanks for posting on the NI discussion forums.

If you try to wire two (or more) data sources to an indicator, as it sounds like you are doing, the behaviour of the indicator is not well defined. A good analogy is having two people telling you what to do, in the case that both are telling you the same thing then the action required of you is clear, however if each person is telling you something different to the other, what do you do? You cannot do both. You will need to have a decision making process to handle multiple sources of information.

Having said the above, wiring both boolean sources (your Fieldpoint I/O points) to one boolean indicator will not work- the the indicator will not know which source to listen to, and subsequently know which value to take in every eventuality.
To acheive your desired mode of operation you must use boolean logic to make the decisions about what needs to be displayed, or the action that needs to be taken.
I have written a small piece of code that approximates what I beleive you are trying to acheive. Please try running this code and let me know if it helps.
Thanks,

Message Edited by RobS (AE) on 12-14-2005 10:37 AM

National Instruments | Northern California
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,113 Views)