FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9171 driver installation problem with LV 8.5.1 and NIDAQ9.3

Solved!
Go to solution
Hello, I just bought an NI9171 chassis with a NI9477 DO board after checking the compatibility (driver, LV version). Everything seems to be ok, but I can't manage to get the right driver installed within NIDAQ 9.3. I tried it with NIDAQ 9.4. Here the driver was installed properly and I could do some tests in MAX, but my DAQmx LabVIEW library was completely deleted during the installation of 9.4...Re-intsllation of NIDAQ9.3 brought back the DAQmx library, but the driver is not working anymore. One thought is to copy the library somewhere else and install 9.4 again....but in case this would work, it should not be the correct way to solve the problem. Could anyone tell me, if there is something wrong with the 9.3 readme or suggest a solution for that problem? Unfortunatly I have no SSP anymore and can't get direct support by NI ;-( Here you can find the readme: http://download.ni.com/support/softlib//multifunction_daq/nidaqmx/9.3.0/readme.html#OS Thanks for any hint! Olli
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(8,781 Views)
Hello, I just tried a combination between NIDAQ9.4 and LV8.5.1 withg the copied DAQmx functions...as expected it did not work. I read again the readme text for the NIDAQ9.3, where it is eplained, that my hardware NI cDAQ-9171 is supported...this would mean, that the driver should work. There might be a little issue which prevents the proper driver installation, I tested some driver installation hints already, but I still did not succeed. Maybe there could be something wrong in the readme for NIDAQ9.3? If that's the case it should be corrected, because I chose the hardware because of the compatibility information out of this published readme! Greetings! Olli
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(8,774 Views)

First,  why did you post your question in the compact Fieldpoint forum?  It has nothing to do with compactDAQ.

DAQmx 9.4 will not work with LabVIEW 8.5.  See NI-DAQ and LabVIEW Version Compatibility (for Windows).  So I hope your attempts to try to install DAQmx 9.4 and sneak it into your LV 8.5 installation didn't corrupt things.  Did you try uninstalling LV 9.4 before reinstalling 9.3?

So now we know you need DAQmx 9.3 to work in LV 8.5.  And yes according to your readme, it should work with the cDAQ 9171 where it says:

"USB-9xxx Devices

Unplug your USB-9xxx and plug it back in or power the USB device down and up after upgrading NI-DAQmx. If the USB-9xxx is connected to a USB hub, make sure to disconnect the USB-9xxx from the hub, not the hub from the computer. Disconnecting power from the USB device causes installed devices to load the correct version of the firmware."

You say your device is not working with DAQmx 9.3, but you haven't given any details on how it is not working.  Do you see it in Windows device manager?  Do you see it in MAX?

My guess is that you never correctly reinstalled DAQmx9.3 because you never really uninstalled DAQmx9.4.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(8,761 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Olli

Hi Olli,

Sorry for the inconvenience, however DAQmx 9.3 does not support 9171. This is error in our documentation. It was first supported in 9.4. However I do have a workaround for you. It involves installing DAQmx 9.4/9.5's core components with DAQmx 9.3 LabVIEW support:

1) Uninstall all versions of DAQmx

2) Install DAQmx 9.3 Full and reboot

3) Run the DAQmx 9.4/9.5 installer

a. Select Custom then click Next

custom.png

b. For "Application Development Support" select "Do not install this feature"

Donotinstall.png

c. Click through the next few menus until you get to "Start Installation." Make sure that Application Development Support is NOT under the Upgrading section

Applicationsupport.png

d. Continue the install as normal and reboot.

5) The DAQmx palette should be in LabVIEW 8.5.1

Please let me know if you have any question. Again I apologize for the error.

Steven K.
National Instruments
Software Engineer
Message 4 of 6
(8,754 Views)
Hello, sorry for posting my question in the wrong forum and for did'nt express well what did not work! In fact it was the NI9171 driver which was not recognised by NIDAQ 9.3. Now we know why. I followed now the steps that Steve K. proposed and everything working (driver properly installed and DAQmx functions in LV 8.5.1). Now I can continue with my application. Thanks a lot! Olli
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(8,737 Views)

Hello, 

Thanks for your reply on this topic. When I go to follow your workaround instructions to get the cDAQ-9171 to work properly with LabView 8.5.1, the installer for DAQmx 9.4 gives the following ominous message:

LabVIEW Version Unsupported by NI-DAQmx
This installer has detected that you have a version of LabVIEW that is not supported by NI-DAQmx. Please refer to the feature tree in this installer to see which versions of LabVIEW are supported by NI-DAQmx in this release. This installer will remove NI-DAQmx LabVIEW support (if present) from any unsupported versions of LabVIEW.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(8,287 Views)