Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

subscription email with every edit of a forum post?

WHY? Why? Why? Why would you do this?

I will admit, I am not the world's greatest communicator and my posts will often need several edits to make my point clearly.

There is no good reason to send out an email every time I correct a spelling or grammar error. 

Hello RTSLVU,

Please accept this message in the humble spirit that it is sent.  I mean no disrespect by it, just an informative message. 

I send you this message to let you know that the forums have updated functionality that now sends out a subscription email with every edit of a forum post.  I'm not complaining at all because I don't really care how many times a post is edited.  But previously, no one knew if you edited a post 4 times with a couple of minutes.  Smiley Wink

I know I have done this before where my message doesn't make sense immediately after I click post.  But knowing that subscription emails are sent upon editing a message has made me consider proofreading really well before posting.  Just a thought. 

Best regards,

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 1 of 13
(3,834 Views)

Already being discussed: https://forums.ni.com/t5/Feedback-on-NI-Community/New-kind-of-notification/m-p/3744510#M15415

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(3,819 Views)

I agree, the notifications need to wait until the time window for editing is closed or at least 10 minutes have passed.

(Same as with measurement data: don't start recording until the system has stabilized!)

(In the old community we also had a checkbox "[ ] minor edit, do not notify subscribers" or similar when editing community documents. Maybe we need that back).

Most of my posts have a handful of edits within the first few minutes.

(Typical timeline: First is a quick draft answer just to beat Tim in answering first (just kidding! :D), then I polish it up with more detail, then I might create and add an image to further clarify, then I might deal with all the misspellings and missing characters.)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(3,806 Views)

I like the idea that no notifications are sent during the editing window.   It's really pointless anyways.  I get the new post notification for a subscribed thread already.  If I wanted to know what edits were made (which I don't, but if I did), I can easily compare the new post notification to the actual thread. 

It's like getting that "OK" text message when you tell your wife that you're running late.  It's just another message that I have to read and delete. 

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(3,801 Views)

If you would like to disable notifications for edits, you should change the following notification setting: Any edits and workflow requests for documents in areas I subscribe to

However, please keep in mind that this will affect notifications you receive for edits to documents as well -- a concern that was discussed in the topic here. For example, if you choose to "never" receive notification of any edits, this will override being subscribed to a particular document.

These settings are part of the platform and currently offer no further configuration. We can take the feedback we have received here and raise this to our community provider.

Thanks,

Lili

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(3,786 Views)

So everyone who uses this board has to do this to NOT receive these notices?  That's just dumb.

Why is this not disabled by default?

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(3,782 Views)

I don't subscribe to much so this is not for me. It's for the (one or two?) people that might subscribe to places I post.

I don't want to be guilty of bombarding them with five notification for every post I make but I currently cannot change that from my side.

Yes, the provider needs to change that globally.

Message 7 of 13
(3,775 Views)

This is just one more failure added to the pile of fail the forum has become since the "upgrade".

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(3,767 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

So everyone who uses this board has to do this to NOT receive these notices?  That's just dumb.

Why is this not disabled by default?

As mentioned in the other topic, this was disabled by default originally but was then changed after the recent complaints of lack of notifications on document changes.

We have reverted this back though after this recent feedback though. You should not be receiving notifications for edits by default anymore. As before, you can change this in your notification settings, if you would like. However, please note that this means that you will not receive notification of edits to any documents you subscribe to. You must change your notification settings for this. You always have an option for a daily or weekly digest as well. 

We will also advise our document scrubbers and gatekeepers to be more diligent in posting comments on documents when content is changed.

Also, as a reminder, on desktop there is the "preview" tab on the text editor -- if you would like to review your content before submitting. This might help cut down on edits that need to be made to posts.

Thanks,

Lili

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(3,768 Views)

@LiliMcDonald wrote:
Also, as a reminder, on desktop there is the "preview" tab on the text editor -- if you would like to review your content before submitting. This might help cut down on edits that need to be made to posts.

I think there is a law that spelling mistakes are only detected after posting 😄

(at least that's how my brain works 🐵

Message 10 of 13
(3,761 Views)