Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow and unreliable access to the forum site

Hi Kristi,

I got the same HTTP500 error as Wolfgang when trying to log in a minute ago.

Reloading my notifications site did help…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 63
(1,650 Views)

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your input so far on this topic. We are actively investigating the root causes here, but I wanted to note a few things. There are most likely several issues causing the symptoms you are experiencing, some of which were temporary and others which might be ongoing.

Last week, there was an outage on ni.com one day and another day an outage on the community side. We also had our typical maintenance windows. So last week is an odd data point and shouldn't be an ongoing problem -- as far as complete outages go.

The issue reported last night with authentication is related to the single sign-on for the site. We have escalated this to the appropriate team to investigate further.

As for daily performance issues, this is an area we are gathering more information on so that we can properly troubleshoot. It is definitely helpful if you mark the time and page you were on when you notice slow loading times or anything like that. This can help us determine if you were on the site during a maintenance window or if there are other issues on the page. We also have other monitoring in place, but user details can help shape the story.

And of course, as with any website, there are occasional blips that a refresh will help resolve. However, if you see the same erorr/issue over-and-over again and can reproduce it, then we would want to investigate further.

We apologize for the inconvenience that some of these issues have caused. Thank you in advance for sharing any information with us.

Lili McDonald
Community Manager

National Instruments

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 63
(1,634 Views)

Pages do feel much much slower to load compared to what I remember in the past.

3-4 seconds to load: http://forums.ni.com/ 

3-7 seconds to load: http://forums.ni.com/t5/Discussion-Forums/ct-p/discussion-forums

It's easy to check this with Chrome if you hit F12, go to the network tab, and refresh the page.

This website speed test provides some interesting tips too, mostly in regards to ways this could be improved: https://tools.pingdom.com/#!/dRsAS8/forums.ni.com

Craig H. | CLA CTA CLED | Applications Engineer | NI Employee 2012-2023
Message 13 of 63
(1,627 Views)

I just wanted to give a kudo to a previous post, and the log in / action hanged forever. Chrome browser, Android 7.0

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 63
(1,604 Views)

Another annoying feature: when clicking "Log in" we are redirect to a different URL (similar to "lumen.ni.com/idp/profile/SAML2/Unsolicited/SSO"), which loads an (apparently) empty/blank website. As long as the forum responds as expected we are then forwarded (or: sent back) to the URL we were before. BUT: as the forum reacts sloooow we see a blank page for seconds!

Sometimes I see a blank page for 15-30s before I get redirected - quite irritating…

Best regards,
GerdW

Message 15 of 63
(1,578 Views)

We are actively investigating why the page is hanging when attempting to sign-in (the blank white screen symptom). We will let you know when we have an update.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 63
(1,580 Views)

Hi Lili,

I just wanted to mark a post as SPAM (see SPAM report for Josephine77) and had to log in to do so: it took about 30s before that blank white screen updated! (Very bad UX!)

Thanks god I could read another thread in a parallel tab at the same time…

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 63
(1,566 Views)

Hi Blokk,

I checked with our Online Training team regarding the error message.  The latency message has been removed and the issue is now resolved. If you experience any issues, the team is requesting an email be sent to OnlineTraining@ni.com.

Best Regards,

Kristi Martinez

NI Community Support

Best Regards,
Kristi Martinez
NI Community Support
Message 18 of 63
(1,546 Views)

Hello,

Thanks for the info regarding to the Online Training sites. The main general issue with the forum site is still a question, lets see in the next days/weeks whether we see improvements and fixes.

Edit: FYI, this very reply to your post just worked fine and very fast using Firefox. Right now I did not see any issue like before. Fingers crossed, hopefully the forum behaviour stays as now 🙂

Edit-2:

I just did a quick test: I totally logged out (from both the ni.com and the discussion forum). Then I was just browsing the forum posts without logging in again. I clicked on a random post to request the "reply" field, and the site sent me to the log-in page. After logging in, the site took me to the reply field in 1-2 sec. So far looks good 🙂 

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 63
(1,537 Views)

Hi Blokk,

I'm glad to hear that the problem seems to be reduced. To be clear we are still actively investigating the issue. Hopefully, the problem does not re-appear for you, but we are continuing to look into this.

Thanks,

Matt
NI Community Team
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 63
(1,521 Views)