Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

serial port

Thanks for the replies.
Let me elaborate my problem. I have an instrument, which communicates to PC through RS 232C serial port. The exact format (ie, whether there is any parity bit, how many total bits are there etc) is not known. The only thing available is that the communaction is at 115200 baud rate, and that the data coming from the instrument is coded us-ascii, in XML format.
i want to know exactly what is the data that is coming in from the receiver, and also there are some communication variables that is sent through the serial port. There is a software that is supplied with the system, and that shows the data as such. My requirement is to control this instrument along with some other systems in a time sharing manner, through microcontrollers. For this, I need to know the coded data to and from the device.
That is why, i requested help in knowing whether this decoding can be done using Labview.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,824 Views)
Hi Listen:

Sounds like an interesting project.  You will get a better response by posting in the LabVIEW forum.  This forum is for providing feedback to NI on the discussion boards only.
----
I am the founder of CnCSoftwareSolutions. When not cleaning up baby drool, I write about test data or work on Vision, a tool for understanding your test data. Visit me at www.cncsoftwaresolutions.com
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,815 Views)

I don't know why tou posted to this board. You should have replied to your original post.

Anyway, you will eventually have to determine the parity, stop bits, data bits, and flow control of the the instrument. If the manufacturer does not provide this (I can't imagine why they can't do this), experiment in Hyperterminal until you find what works.

How to decode XML is a different question than what you originally asked. When you read the data from the serial port, you'll have to parse it out. LabVIEW contains some XML functions on the Advanced>Data Manipulation>XML palette and there is a shipping example called Read Data From XML File. This uses the Read From XML File function and is designed to read a LabVIEW XML file, you should be able to modify this or use it as a template to extract your XML elements.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,799 Views)