Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Unread Topics" are missing from the Idea Exchange

As mentioned in Re: No more "new replies"?  the "Unread Topics" box is missing from pages on the Idea Exchange, thanks crossrulz. This is still not fixed a month later and may have been overlooked in the other fixes, so just reposting in its own thread.

Message 1 of 8
(2,358 Views)

Hi @GregSands,

That particular component had a significant performance issue that was one of the reasons that Idea Exhange page loads are slow. We are still researching the best solution for addressing it. We will bring back a way to see unread items in the Idea Exchange but it may be a bit. 

Thanks,

Mark

Community Manager
NI Community
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,326 Views)

I'm with the others. As long as this feature is missing, the idea exchange is effectively unusable to me.

As a sidepoint - it's not as if the feature itself was that great. It had a bunch of issues, but at least it allowed us to review all of the ideas and comments in the IE, which now we can't do in any convenient way that I'm aware of. I suppose I could try to get email or RSS or possibly some queries with whatever Khoros call their API these days, but I don't want to.

I never noticed any significantly slow load times.  I have not read the Idea Exchange in a month though because I have no way to get to where I want without the Unread Topics feature.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,280 Views)

@elset191 wrote:

I have not read the Idea Exchange in a month though because I have no way to get to where I want without the Unread Topics feature.

I had to resort to subscribing to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange.  I don't like using the notifications for this though.

@elset191 wrote:

I never noticed any significantly slow load times.

Yeah, the performance seems the same to me with or without the "Unread Topics".

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,276 Views)

@markwni wrote:

We will bring back a way to see unread items in the Idea Exchange but it may be a bit. 

It's been a bit. Any update on what can be done?

FWIW - my own preference is just to have a standard board view for the exchange, as least as an option. Handling a board like that is certainly easier most of the time than the unread module was.

(2,168 Views)

FWIW - my own preference is just to have a standard board view for the exchange, as least as an option. Handling a board like that is certainly easier most of the time than the unread module was.

This is the current goal. We are doing active research on this solution during the current sprint. Because of the holidays we are moving slower than normal, but this work aligns with our current focus to improve page load performance across the NI Community.

Thank you!

Mark

Community Manager
NI Community
Message 7 of 8
(2,153 Views)

@tst wrote:

Just change the "Hot Ideas" tab to "Recent Activity" and do as tst suggested for that tab.  I think this would meet 99% of the needs.  I can think of a scenario where NI marks a ton of ideas as "Completed" or "In Beta" or "Closed" and it overruns the first page.  But we can work around that just like we do with the LabVIEW board.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,144 Views)