Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Leetspeak"

This is only my personal opinion.

There should be a forum rule that requires writing above a third grade level.

I find it difficult to take anyone seriously who uses 'u', 'ur', 'wat', '2day', etc...

In my opinion, there is no place on these forums for this juvenile leetspeak.

I guess everybody has their pet peeves.

Message 1 of 11
(7,280 Views)

ur not da only 1:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/BreakPoint/A-plea-for-full-words/m-p/751004#M6099

(7,278 Views)

I agree and it should be added to the intro to the forums page here in the ediquite section.

Tell them they can do it if they insist but warn them the most experienced contributors may not even read the post.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 3 of 11
(7,252 Views)

ju57 ph0R R3F3R3nc3, wh@ J00 R d35cr181n9 H3R3 12 N07 l337. 1F J00 k4n R34d 7H12 J00 kn0w wH@ 1 M 74LK1N9 480u7.

Spoiler
Just for reference, what you are describing here is NOT leet. If you can read this you know what I am talking about.

I think it what you are describing is more like SMS language.

Message 4 of 11
(7,228 Views)

If it walks, smells, and quacks like a duck then its probably a duck.

Leetspeak, sms... both the same to me. They're both examples of chewed up and spat out English.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(7,225 Views)

One is intentional and one is just lazy 😉

Message 6 of 11
(7,219 Views)

Point taken... Touché!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(7,215 Views)

I agree and it should be added to the intro to the forums page here in the ediquite section.

Tell them they can do it if they insist but warn them the most experienced contributors may not even read the post.

Ben

I edited the Posting Etiquette section here. Hopefully that will help Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 11
(7,198 Views)

Good start!

Could you please make it bold?

Unless someone reads the entire document it would be easily missed. I would think making it a sepearte bullet would make it more pronounced.

Thank you!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(7,181 Views)

@Jordan G wrote:
I edited the Posting Etiquette section here. Hopefully that will help Smiley Happy

One of the most important parts of a post is the post title, or "Subject" (as the entry field is called) and it is often misused. I would add a sentence ...

"When writing a question, the most visible, and thus most important part is the subject line. It needs to be concise, unique, specific to the problem, and draw attention. Avoid generic subjects such as "help me", "labview problem", "how do I do this", "question", etc.. Better examples are for example "Nonlinear fitting always fails", "How do I transmit a cluster via UDP", LabVIEW crashes when I do A followed by B". Keep the subject short and don't put an entire paragraph in that field. Think of it as the headline in a newspaper article."

Message 10 of 11
(7,166 Views)